Virginia House 57th district
The 57th Virginia House of Representatives District encompasses all of Charlottesville and parts of Albemarle County east of the city. Delegate Sally Hudson was elected to her first term in November 2019.
The Virginia General Assembly is a composed of two separate chambers, the House of Delegates and State Senate. The House of Delegates is presided over by a speaker of the house, while the State Senate is presided over by the lieutenant governor of Virginia. All 100 seats of the Virginia House of Delegates will be on the ballot in November 2019.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Help cvillepedia by improving this article with information about 57th House of Delegates district Virginia House 57th district from wikipedia.
The General Assembly is a bicameral body consisting of a lower house, the Virginia House of Delegates, with 100 members each representing a population of about 80,010 individuals, and an upper house, the Senate of Virginia, with 40 members. Combined together, the General Assembly consists of 140 elected representatives from an equal number of constituent districts across the commonwealth.0
- Demographics: 69.2% White, 18.1% Black, 0.6% American Indian, 8.2% Asian, 0.1% Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 3.2% Other, 0.5% Two or more races.
The district encompasses all of Charlottesville and a portions of Albemarle County east and southwest of the city comprised of Agnor-Hurt (104), Branchlands (103), Cale (405), Dunlora (105), Georgetown (203), University Hall (202), and Woodbrook (101) Precincts and parts of the East Ivy (304) and Free Bridge (504) Precincts. The district is primarily suburban.
Term & qualifications
Members of the Virginia House of Delegates serve two-year terms and are not subject to term limits. Virginia legislators assume office the second Wednesday in January after the election. Delegates must be at least 21 years of age at the time of the election, residents of the district they represent, and qualified to vote for members of the Virginia General Assembly.
Base salary for delegates is $17,640 per year + $203/day per diem.
Vacancy Filled by Special Election.
Elections for the Virginia House of Delegates took place in 2019. The Democratic primary was on June 11, 2019, and the general election was on November 5, 2019. No independents or Republicans ran run.
Democratic primary election
- Sally Hudson, a professor at the Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, announced in December 2018 that she would challenge incumbent David Toscano in the 2019 Democratic primary for the seat.Toscano announced his retirement from office on February 23, 2019.
- Kathy Galvin, Charlottesville City Councilor was expected to formally announce on March 14 her run for the Democratic nomination as well.
Recent election results
The general election took place on November 7, 2017. All 100 house seats were up for election. Incumbent David Toscano defeated Ross Mittiga III in the Democratic primary and ran unopposed general election.
The general election took place on November 3, 2015. Democratic incumbent David Toscano was unchallenged in the general election.
The general election took place on November 5, 2013. Incumbent David Toscano was unopposed in the Democratic primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
Membership & year elected
- David Joesph Toscano (D), 2005 - 2019 David Toscano since 2006. <ref>Web. Toscano announces retirement from House of Delegates, Tyler Hammel, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, February 23, 2019, retrieved February 24, 2019.
- Mitchell Van Yahres (D), 1982 - 2004
- Manley C. Butler (R), 1969
- Stanley A. Owens (D)
- Pressley B. White (D)
- Paris I. Leadbetter (D) 1954 (special election)
- William H. Perry (R)
- Harry B. Davis (D)
- W. Roy Smith (D)
- Benjamin L. Campbell (D)
- Samuel D. Rodgers (D), 1947
- http://redistricting.dls.virginia.gov/2010/Data/house%20plans/hb5005_passed_042811_houseplan/hb5005_passed_042811_houseplan.pdf Commonwealth of Virginia Division of Legislative Services, Redistricting 2010, (HB 5005-Passed 4/28/11)
- https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title24.2/chapter2/section24.2-216/ Virginia Law Library, "§ 24.2-216. Filling vacancies in the General Assembly," accessed June 26, 2017 (Statute 24.2-216, Virginia Code)
- Web. Prof. Sally Hudson challenges David Toscano for House of Delegates seat, Jake Gold, News Article, Cavalier Daily, December 4, 2018, retrieved March 8, 2019.
- Web. Toscano announces retirement from House of Delegates, Tyler Hammel, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, February 23, 2019, retrieved February 24, 2019.
- Web. Galvin to seek Democratic nod for 57th District seat, Nolan Stout, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, March 7, 2019, retrieved March 8, 2019.
- https://virginiageneralassembly.gov/house/members/members.php?id=H0188 Virginia House of Delegates Member Listings