Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority
The Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority (RWSA) is an independent public agency that collects, treats, stores and distributes water and transports and treats waste water for residents of Albemarle County and Charlottesville. The RWSA is a wholesale agency with only two customers: the Charlottesville Water and Sewer Division and the Albemarle County Service Authority, agencies that serve individual retail customers. Funding for operations is paid for entirely by ratepayers, though local and state funding is part of the RWSA's Capital Improvement Program.
The authority's headquarters are located at 695 Moores Creek Lane and the main phone number is (434) 977-2970.
Tom Frederick is the current Executive Director of the RWSA.
The Director's actions are directed by a seven-member Board of Directors, comprising
- the Charlottesville City Manager,
- the Albemarle County Executive,
- Charlottesville's Public Works Director,
- the Executive Director of the Albemarle County Service Authority,
- one member from City Council,
- one member from the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, and
- one member jointly appoined by City Council and the Board of Supervisors.
Current members are:
- Chairman, Mike Gaffney; Appointed (Since 2003)
- Vice Chairman, Gary O'Connell, Charlottesville City Manager; Ex-Officio
- Secretary-Treasurer, Robert W. Tucker, Jr., County Executive; Ex-Officio
- Member, Judith M. Mueller, Charlottesville Director of Public Works; Ex-Officio
- Member, Gary W. Fern, Albemarle County Service Authority Executive Director; Ex-Officio
- Member, Sally Thomas, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors; Ex-Officio
- Member, Holly Edwards, Charlottesville City Council; Ex-Officio
Board meetings are generally held on the last Monday of each month.
The RWSA is currently in the midst of a nearly $150 million Capital Improvement Program that includes implementation of the Community Water Supply Plan, an upgrade to the Moores Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant, as well as replacements of various sewer lines such as the Meadowcreek Interceptor.
Wastewater is processed at the Moores Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant which is located in the City of Charlottesville along the Rivanna River and Interstate 64.
Charlottesville Tomorrow currently covers all meetings of the Board of Directors.
- 'About RWSA', retreived 2008-03-26
- Board Members, About Us Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority, retrieved 16 Jun 2009 Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "RWSABoard" defined multiple times with different content
- Charlottesville City Council Minutes. 3 Feb. 2003. City of Charlottesville, Virginia. 24 Mar. 2009 <http://weblink.charlottesville.org/DocView.aspx?id=195903>
- RWSA Board Members, retreived on 2008-10-23