Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority
The Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority (RWSA) is an independent public agency that collects, treats, stores and distributes water and transports and treats waste water for residents of Albemarle County and Charlottesville. The RWSA is a wholesale agency with only two customers: the Charlottesville Water and Sewer Division and the Albemarle County Service Authority, agencies that serve individual retail customers. Funding for operations is paid for entirely by ratepayers, though local and state funding is part of the RWSA's Capital Improvement Program.
The authority's headquarters are located at 695 Moores Creek Lane and the main phone number is (434) 977-2970.
Tom Frederick is the current Executive Director of the RWSA. His actions are supervised by a five-member Board of Directors, who generally meet on the last Monday of each month. These five members consist of the Charlottesville City Manager, the Albemarle County Executive, Charlottesville's Public Works Director, and the Executive Director of the Albemarle County Service Authority, as well as a fifth person appointed with the joint consent of the City Council and the Board of Supervisors. That position is currently up for reappointment
Current members are:
- Chairman, Mike Gaffney; Appointed (Since 2003)
- Vice Chairman, Gary O’Connell, Charlottesville City Manager; Ex-Officio
- Secretary-Treasurer, Robert W. Tucker, Jr., County Executive; Ex-Officio
- Member, Judith M. Mueller, Charlottesville Director of Public Works; Ex-Officio
- Member, Gary W. Fern, Albemarle County Service Authority Executive Director; Ex-Officio
The RWSA is currently in the midst of a nearly $150 million Capital Improvement Program that includes implementation of the Community Water Supply Plan, an upgrade to the Moores Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant, as well as replacements of various sewer lines such as the Meadowcreek Interceptor.
Wastewater is processed at the Moores Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant which is located in the City of Charlottesville along the Rivanna River and Interstate 64.
Charlottesville Tomorrow currently covers all meetings of the Board of Directors.
- 'About RWSA', retreived 2008-03-26
- 'Charlottesville seeks applicants for boards, including RWSA', Daniel Nairn, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 10-21-08, retreived on 10-23-08].
- Charlottesville City Council Minutes. 3 Feb. 2003. City of Charlottesville, Virginia. 24 Mar. 2009 <http://weblink.charlottesville.org/DocView.aspx?id=195903>
- RWSA Board Members, retreived on 2008-10-23