In 2020, Carpenter was selected by the City Council to serve 3-years on the CRB as the Social Justice Representative.
2017 City Council election
Carpenter announced her intention to run as an independent for Charlottesville City Council in the 2017 election. Carpenter is one of four candidates running as independents, along with Dale Woodson, Nikuyah Walker and Paul Long.  Two of the five City Council seats will be open, currently held by Kristin Szakos and Bob Fenwick. 
Carpenter failed to qualify for the November ballot. 
2013 Supervisor replacement
Carpenter sought that position as an independent, citing six years of experience as Planning Technician and Zoning Administrator for Culpeper County. She has been involved in The Crossings at Fourth and Preston, educating residents about nutrition, processing paperwork, and training new employees. 
Carpenter was a member of the Charlottesville Commission on Human Rights.
Carpenter has experience working with activist groups, including Virginia Organizing, the Charlottesville Center for Peace and Justice, Equity and Progress in Charlottesville and The Haven. She currently works as a coordinated assessor for The Haven . Her experience with people experiencing homelessness in Charlottesville is driving her campaign platform, which focuses on advocating for the homeless and others facing poverty . If elected, Carpenter promised to support affordable housing, encourage community engagement and improve government transparency.  
- Web. New independent candidate joins City Council race, Katja Cresanti, The Cavalier Daily, April 5, 2017, retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Web. Carpenter launches independent bid for City Council to be a conduit for concerns, Lauren Berg, The Daily Progress, April 1, 2017, retrieved April 2, 2017.
- Web. Three independents fail to qualify for City Council ballot, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 19, 2017, retrieved July 25, 2017.
- Web. Supervisors to consider applicants for Scottsville District seat, J. Reynold Hutchins, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, 2 July 2013, retrieved 3 July 2013.
- Web. Statements from Candidates Seeking Appointment as the Scottsville District Representative to the Board of Supervisors, County of Albemarle, June 2013, retrieved 3 July 2013.
- Web. Advocate for Homeless Announces Charlottesville City Council Run, NBC29, April 1, 2017, retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Web. Carpenter becomes latest independent to launch Council bid, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, April 3, 2017, retrieved April 7, 2017.