Charlottesville Department of Economic Development
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The Charlottesville Department of Economic Development's mission is "to serve as a catalyst for public and private initiatives that promote the long-term economic vitality of Charlottesville." The goal is to expand the city's tax base and to provide more jobs for area citizens. The office coordinates and administers the functions of the Charlottesville Economic Development Authority, which issues revenue bonds and assists with front end capital for projects.
- Aubrey Watts, Economic Development Director
- Chris Engel, Assistant Economic Development Director
- Hollie Lee, Economic Development Specialist
In 2001, City Council adopted an ordinance which established a technology zone which allows qualified businesses to have reduced Business Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) taxes. Since then, over 900 firms have applied for and received the credit. While promoted by the economic development office, the program is administered by the Commissioner of Revenue's office. 
- Web. Charlottesville - Economic Development, City of Charlottesville, December 15, 2010, retrieved December 15, 2010.
- Web. Charlottesville - About Us, City of Charlottesville, retrieved December 15, 2010.
- Web. Ordinance amending and reauthorizing the Technology Zone, Chris Engerl, City of Charlottesville, Page 17, retrieved November 21, 2011.