Charlottesville City Council (2010-2011)
The two-year term of the Charlottesville City Council (2010-2011) ran from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2011. In the 2009 election, one new member to the council, Kristin Szakos, replaced Julian Taliaferro; councilor Dave Norris was re-elected. The three members of the council whose terms did not expire this year wereDavid Brown, Holly Edwards and Satyendra Huja.
Satyendra Huja (D), Member from January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2015
Holly Edwards (D), Vice-president (vice-mayor), Member from January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2011
David Brown (D), Member from July 1, 2004 to December 31, 2011
Dave Norris (D), President (mayor), Member from July 1, 2006 to December 31, 2013
Kristin Szakos (D); Member from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2017
The City Council Adopted Budget for Fiscal Year 2010 – 2011: Total operating budget of $126,001,345 (represented a decrease of .77% when compared to the previous year’s budget).
- Incumbent Julian Taliaferro was one of three candidates who sought nomination to one of two slots on the Democratic Party's ticket. He announced his nomination for a second term on March 9, 2009. After a brief campaign, the Democrats opted that year to hold an "unassembled caucus" on May 9, 2009 to determine a nominee. Taliaferro came in third in the balloting behind incumbent City Councilor Dave Norris and challenger Kristin Szakos.
January 4, 2010
Regular council meetings were held in City Hall on the first and third Monday of the month.
2010 Noteworthy events
- January 4 – Piedmont Family YMCA: On a motion by Dr. Brown, seconded by Ms. Szakos, Council approved the Preliminary Site Plan design with a 4:1 vote. (Ayes: Norris, Brown, Huja, Szakos; Noes: Edwards).
- February 9 – City Manager: Gary B. O'Connell, City Manager since 1995, resigned effective in April.
- February 16 – City Manager: By a Resolution of the Council, Maurice Jones was appointed as Acting City Manager, effective April 13, 2010.
- October 4 – Meadowcreek Parkway:
- November 15 – Meadowcreek Parkway: Council votes 3-2 to allow city manager to sign memorandum of agreement for mitigation of damage to historical resources.
- On motion by Dr. Brown, seconded by Mr. Huja, Council voted 3:2 to approve the McIntire Road Extended Section 106 MOA (Ayes: Brown, Huja, Szakos; Noes: Norris, Edwards). Mayor Norris noted his continued opposition to the project.
2011 Noteworthy events
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
CHARLOTTESVILLE CITY COUNCIL VISION - 2025
Charlottesville: A Great Place to Live for All of Our Citizens
- A leader in innovation, environmental sustainability, and social and economic justice
- Flexible and progressive in anticipating and responding to the needs of our citizens
- Cultural and creative capital of Central Virginia
- Julian Taliaferro announces campaign for re-election to City Council Nairn, Daniel, and Brian A. Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 9 Mar. 2009. Web. 10 Aug. 2009.
- "Charlottesville Democrats nominate Norris and Szakos for City Council" Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 9 May 2009. Web. 10 Aug. 2009.
- City of Charlottesville. Office of Communications. City of Charlottesville to Name Acting City Manager During the Next City Council Meeting. City of Charlottesville. City of Charlottesville, 9 Feb. 2010. Web. 9 Feb. 2010<http://www.charlottesville.org/>
- http://weblink.charlottesville.org/Public/0/edoc/734729/20100216Feb16.pdf page 6 of 9
- Web. Council paves way for city's portion of parkway, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, November 15, 2010, retrieved November 16, 2010.