Board of Architectural Review
The Charlottesville Board of Architectural Review (BAR) is a nine-member citizen board appointed by City Council that is responsible for protecting individually designated historic properties and properties within Architectural Design Control districts and Historic Conservation Districts within the city.
The BAR reviews changes to the exterior of designated properties in architectural design control districts. Their review includes new building construction, alterations, building additions, and demolitions. Some minor changes to the exterior of a property, such as paint color and signs, may be reviewed administratively by city staff.
The BAR generally meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 5 p.m. in the City Council Chambers of City Hall.
The Board must include at least two licensed architects; a member of the city's planning commission; two owners of a business or commercial property in a design control district; one owner of residential property or a resident in a design control district; either a landscape architect or a licensed professional contractor; and two historians or people with a substantial background in history or historic preservation. 
- Melanie Miller, Chair, Owner of residential property or a resident in a design control district (term expires 1/1/2016)
- Tim Mohr, Vice Chair, Licensed Architect (term expires 1/1/2018)
- Stephen Balut, (appointed 3/8/2016)
- Emma Earnst, Historian (term expires 1/1/2016)
- Whit Graves Owner of business in ADC District (term expires 1/1/2018)
- Laura Knott, Landscape Architect (term expires 1/1/2017)
- Justin Sarafin, Historian (term expires 1/1/2016)
- Carl Schwarz, Licensed Architect (term expires 1/1/2018)
- Amy Gardner (#### -2009) Owner of business in ADC District
- James Wall (#### -2009) Property Owner in ADC District
- Eryn Brennan (#### - 2011) Owner of residential property or a resident in a design control district
- Henry Fairfax Ayres (#### - 2011)
- Michael Osteen Planning Commission liaison (term expired 11/9/2012)
- John Sydney Knight (Chair) Landscape Architect (term expired 1/1/2013)
- Brian Hogg Historian (resigned sometime in the spring of 2015)
- Candace DeLoach Owner of business in ADC District (term expired 1/1/2016)
Board of Architectural Reviewon the City website.