Albemarle County Department of Parks and Recreation
The Albemarle County Department of Parks and Recreation operates 13 parks with over 3,775 acres. The department also offers several recreational activities and youth and adult sports programs. 
In 2010, the Board of Supervisors named Bob Crickenberger to serve as the new director.
- Beaver Creek Lake
- Byrom Park
- Charlotte Yancey Humphris Park
- Chris Greene Lake Park
- Darden Towe Park (co-operated with City of Charlottesville) 
- Dorrier Park
- Mint Springs Valley Park
- Preddy Creek Park.
- Simpson Park
- Totier Creek
- Walnut Creek Park
In 2010, Albemarle spent $22 a person on parks and recreation, the second lowest in the state. .
Albemarle’s per capita parks and recreation spending is the second lowest among comparable Virginia localities, with the county spending less than $22 per resident per year, according to figures presented by county officials in October. At the same time, Albemarle has more park acres than all of its peer localities, 3,300; James City County is second, with 1,500 acres.
In FY2015, 54 percent of the operating budget went to maintenance. 
The parks system has over 50 miles in walking trails, having added around 15 miles in the past five years. Different groups help patrol different parks. The Charlottesville Area Mountain Club helps take care of trails at Walnut Creek Park and is helping create trails at the new Preddy Creek Park. Members of the Crozet Trails Crew builds and maintains pathways at Beaver Creek Lake.
Increasingly the department is relying on volunteers to help build and maintain trails. In the past five years, more than 15 miles have been added
- Web. Albemarle County Parks & Recreation Operating Budget Presentation 2015, Albemarle County, December 9, 2014, retrieved December 12, 2014.
- 'Two new parks in Albemarle County'. 15 Jul. 2008. Charlottesville Tomorrow. 22 May 2009.
- Web. County appoints Parks and Recreation director, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, December 16, 2010, retrieved December 16, 2010.
- Shulleeta, Brandon. "Trail Volunteers Fill in Gaps | Charlottesville Daily Progress." Charlottesville News, Sports, Business, Events and Jobs | Charlottesville Daily Progress. 12 June 2010. Web. 14 June 2010. <http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/article/trail_volunteers_fill_in_gaps/57172/>.