- January 5 – 6 p.m., the Charlottesville Redevelopment and Housing Authority’s safety committee meeting to discuss finalizing a policy to govern its use of surveillance cameras before sending it out for public comment. The CRHA safety committee has held several meetings since Dre’Shawn Rayvon McDonald was killed last November.
- January 7 – Charlottesville Deputy City Manager Letitia Shelton announces her resignation 
- January 13 – Effective this Wednesday, the The University of Virginia Health System once again restricted visitors and guests at the hospital, or at clinic appointments, due to rising COVID cases. In the early weeks of the pandemic, the medical center implemented a similar restriction, which was relaxed as conditions improved.
- January 19 – City Council Special Meeting - Reports City; Agenda includes financial report for December (2020) month-end.
- January 27 – this date set for 2021 Point-in-Time (PIT) count, with a backup date of January 28. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and consideration of safety and workload concerns, HUD has allowed communities to make changes in the execution of both the sheltered and unsheltered January 2021 Point-in-Time (PIT) count.
- February 12 – on this Friday, City Attorney John Blair, will finishes his final day as acting city manager.
- February 15 – on this Monday, Chip Boyles will become the next city manager.
- March 5 – City Attorney John Blair will be leaving the City of Charlottesville, having accepted a position as city attorney in the City of Staunton.
- March 14 – Start of Sunshine Week, ends on March 20. This event occurs each year in mid-March, coinciding with James Madison's birthday and National Freedom of Information Day on March 16th. Established in March 2005 with funding from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
- April 15 – 2021 election: Deadline for first of eight Campaign Finance Reports for Candidate Committee Whose Office is on the Ballot on November 2, 2021.
- November 8 – 2021 election: local elections in the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County.
- January 11 – Charlottesville School Board member Juandiego Wade announces candidacy for City Council   
- Web. Charlottesville's remaining deputy city manager resigns, CBS19 News, January 7th, 4:50 PM EST; Updated: January 7th, 8:06 PM EST, retrieved January 8, 2021.
- Web. January 12, 2021: Louisa schools to go virtual for two weeks; Scottsville discusses response to racist fliers, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Community Engagement, Town Crier Productions, July 12, 2021, retrieved January 18, 2021.
- Web. POINT IN TIME COUNT, Homeward, Richmond, VA, 2021, retrieved 1/12/2021.
- Web. January 11, 2021: Juandiego Wade announces Charlottesville City Council candidacy, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Community Engagement, Town Crier Productions, January 11, 2021, retrieved January 11, 2021.
- Web. School Board member Wade announces bid for City Council, Charlotte Rene Woods, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 11, 2021, retrieved January 11, 2021.
- Web. School Board member Wade announces run for City Council, Nolan Stout, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, January 11, 2021, retrieved January 11, 2021.