- March – The Charlottesville Parking Center sued the city over the management structure at the Water Street Parking Garage.
- April 18: City Manager Maurice Jones announced Lexington Police Chief Al Thomas as his pick to head the Charlottesville Police Department, and Charlottesville City Council (2016-2017) approved Thomas, who is the city’s first black police chief. Thomas was one of 63 applicants, says Jones, in a search that was “deep” and involved three rounds of interviews.
- May 19 – Planning and Coordination Council discusses Regional Transportation Organizational study, a precursor of the Regional Transit Partnership 
- May 23: Police Chief Al Thomas started the new job.
- August 18 – Planning and Coordination Council met to discuss the West Main Streetscape project, Smart Scale projects and the Route 29 Solutions projects 
- August 30 – Charlottesville Board of Architectural Review holds preliminary discussion on Hotel Quirk  (Materials)
- October 8 – C’Ville-ian Brewing Co. closed. Owner Stephen Gibbs founded the micro-brewery in his garage in 2013 and opened on West Main Street in 2014.
- October 26 – Officials in Charlottesville and Shenandoah Valley briefed on I-64 study Materials for joint MPO meeting
- November 9 – Albemarle County Board of Supervisors public hearing on Brookhill development Materials for meeting
- March 22 – Initial press conference seeking removal of Jackson, Lee statues.
- May 28 – Charlottesville City Council creates Blue Ribbon Commission on Race, Memorials, and Public Spaces.
- November 10 – Blue Ribbon Commission delivers draft report, recommending retention of the Lee and Jackson statues and addition of context.
- https://www.cvilletomorrow.org/articles/council-decides-on-process-for-hiring-city-attorne, Council decides on process for hiring city attorney, Charlottesville Tomorrow, Sean Tubbs, April 14, 2018, May 22, 2019
- Web. Historic hire: Al Thomas is Charlottesville’s first black police chief, Lisa Provence, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, 4/20/16 at 7:19 AM, retrieved 1/10/2021.
- Web. Planning and Coordination Council (PACC) Meeting Agenda, City of Charlottesville, Agenda, City of Charlottesville, retrieved September 29, 2019.
- Web. PACC Agenda for August 18, 2016, City of Charlottesville, retrieved September 29, 2019.
- Web. Architecture group gets first look at new West Main hotel, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 30, 2016, retrieved March 14, 2020.
- Web. C’Ville-ian Brewing Co. shutting down, The Daily Progress staff reports, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 7, 2016, retrieved October 25, 2019.
- Web. FINAL REPORT INDEPENDENT REVIEW OF THE 2017 PROTEST EVENTS IN CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA, Hunton & Williams LLP, December 1, 2017, retrieved December 1, 2019.