York Place is a 2.5 story building located on the Downtown Mall between First Street S and Second Street SW. It contains a collection of restaurants, shops, and 20 rental apartments. It was developed by Chuck Lewis and is owned by York Property, which keeps its headquarters in the building. The building is named after York, an African-American explorer on the Lewis and Clark expedition. It features plaques, artwork, and boulders commemorating the expedition.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
York Place opened on November 30, 1995, establishing Lewis as the top residential landlord on the Mall. It replaced the former Rose's building, which was itself built on the site of the former Lafayette Theater. In 2003, Council heard an appeal of a Board of Architectural Review ruling about signs at York Place.
As of January 2019, retail establishments located in York Place include:
- Virginia Center for Digital History Remembering Lewis and Clark: Albemarle County, Virginia — Commemoration Today: York Place
- Web. More Than Just Bricks. The Social and Design History of the Charlottesville Mall Designed By Lawrence Halprin Associates, 1973-1976, The DTM, 2010, retrieved 2019-01-26.
- Web. Closing of beloved Charlottesville theater reported in 1959, The Daily Progress staff, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, December 28, 2017, retrieved 2018-01-26.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, November 17, 2003.
Official site, York Place Apartments