Virginia Discovery Museum
Virginia Discovery Museum (VDM) is a nonprofit hands-on children's museum, with exhibits on the arts, sciences, humanities, history and nature. It is located on the Downtown Mall and aimed at children ages 1 to 10 and their families.
The Virginia Discovery Museum brings young children and families together to engage minds, excite imaginations and explore the world around them.
The Virginia Discovery Museum was incorporated in 1981 in order to organize interactive activities which traveled throughout Central Virginia. The popularity of these programs increased the board's resolve to find a building for the exhibits. On October 25, 1986, VDM welcomed visitors to its first home, a two-story house located near the University of Virginia. The numbers of visitors increased and a bigger building was needed. On May 1, 1990, the Museum opened in its current location on the Downtown Mall. City Council made two loans to Council totaling $50,000. Initially, the museum could not pay and asked for an extension. 
In 2009, the museum broke its admissions record last year with 59,395 people entering the museum.
Beth Solak and Janine Dozier are the co-executive directors of the museum. 
The museum pays $3,300 in rent per year to the city of Charlottesville. 
Board of Directors
- Galloway Beck, Co-Chair
- Elizabeth Chew, Co-Chair
- Jennifer Ferguson, Secretary
- Thomas Humphreys, Treasurer
- Katie Barr
- Brian Bell
- Rebecca Berlin
- Moira Kavanagh Crosby
- Krista Davis
- Aaron Fein
- Tracey Givan
- Alex Inman
- Diane Krehmeyer
- S. Kellogg Leliveld
- Joanne Meier
- Sheila O'Donnell
- Beth Solak
Since 2006, the museum has operated a carousel outside of its storefront. City Council granted a five-year lease to the museum that expires on June 30, 2011. The carousel is a gift from Fred Scott.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, July 15, 1991.
- "Factsataglance." Virginia Discovery Museum - a hands-on children's museum, with exhibits on the arts, sciences, humanities, history and nature. Charlottesville, Virginia on the East End of the Downtown Mall. Web. 19 Oct. 2009. <http://www.vadm.org/factsataglance.html>
- Web. Discovery museum to reopen after renovations, Aaron Richardson, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 13, 2016, retrieved January 2, 2017.
- Web. Virginia Discovery Museum Lease Agreement, Lance Stewart, retrieved April 18, 2011.
- Web. Discovery Museum grows, partners with community organizations, Talia Wiener, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 25, 2017, retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Charlottesville City Council Minutes, 15 May 2006. City of Charlottesville, Virginia. Retrieved 21 Jun. 2010
- Virginia Discovery Museum website
- Virginia Discovery Museum on wikipedia
- Official Tourism Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia