Van der Linde Recycling
|Van der Linde Recycling and Container Rentals|
|Type||Trash Disposal and Recycling|
|Founder||Peter van der Linde|
|Headquarters||73 Hunters Branch Road, Troy, VA|
|Key people||Michael Ledford, President and CEO|
The dirty MRF processes mixed waste to separate out recyclables from refuse. 
On July 10, 2013, the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors reviewed an offer van der Linde submitted in response to a Request for Proposals initiated in May 2013. Van der Linde proposed that Van der Linde Recycling would operate three 'convenience centers' in the county where residents could bring their trash and recycling.
The Rivanna Solid Waste Authority sued Peter van der Linde in 2009. Some speculated that one motive for the suit was the RSWA's fear of competition from the Van der Linde Recycling MRF. More information can be found on the RSWA page.
Critics of Van der Linde Recycling say that recyclables are contaminated when they are not separated. Indeed, van der Linde competitor Allied Waste - which manages Charlottesville's source-separated curbside recyclables - has adopted the slogan "separate, don't contaminate." Peter van der Linde admits that contamination occurs, but argues that this is also true for other forms of recycling. The MRF's recovery rate is increasing. Others point out that when Charlottesville residents separate their recyclables from their trash and place it on the curb for free collection, the materials are taken to a transfer station in Ivy and then transported 87 miles to an MRF in Chester, Virginia.
- Web. Waste Works lawsuit for dumb-dumbs: or a busy citizens guide to the local waste war, Dave McNair, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, Jan 13, 2010
- Web. February 2018 MSW Update, Van der Linde Recycling, February 18, 2018, retrieved June 29, 2019.
- Web. Don Van der Linde? Wasteworks whacks recycler with RICO, David McNair, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 17 Aug 2009, retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Web. Timely disposal: City dumps RSWA for Van der Linde, David McNair, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 30 June 2010, retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Web. GREEN HOME-Stop recycling! Local haulers want to do it for you, David McNair, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 22 April 2010, retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Web. Albemarle Board of Supervisors Executive Summary for 10 July 2013, Tom Foley, County of Albemarle, 10 July 2013, retrieved 2 Aug 2013.
- Web. Central Virginia Company Ends Household Waste Recycling, Matt Telheim, News Article, WVIR NBC29, February 27, 2018, retrieved February 28, 2018.
- Web. Citing commodity prices, Virginia MRF stops household waste processing, Cody Boteler, News Article, Waste Dive, March 15, 2018, retrieved March 16, 2018.
- Web. Trash talking: RSWA breaks silence on lawsuit, David McNair, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 24 Oct 2009, retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Web. Recycled remedy: Will Ivy 'transfer' to Van der Linde?, David McNair, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 27 June 2013, retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Web. Trash talk: Single stream, dirty MRFs, and redefining waste, Graelyn Brashear, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, 11 June 2012, retrieved 23 July 2013.