VDOT revenue sharing
The program provides additional funding for use by a county, city, or town to construct or improve the highway systems within that jurisdiction, with statutory limitations on the amount of state funds authorized per locality. Funds can also be requested for eligible additions in certain counties of the Commonwealth. Locality funds are matched with state funds for qualifying projects. An annual allocation of funds for this program is designated by the Commonwealth Transportation Board.
Application for program funding must be made by resolution of the governing body. Towns not maintaining their own streets must have their requests included in the application of the county in which they are located. Project administration may be accomplished by VDOT, or by the locality under an agreement with VDOT
Charlottesville applied for three projects:
- $ 2 million for signalization for East High Streetscape project
- $300,000 for the Route 250 Bypass / Hydraulic Road Turn Lane Extension
- $3 million for streetwide multimodal improvements 
|Organization||Project Name||UPC#||Scope||From||To||Recommended FY20 State Match Allocation|
|Albemarle County||Library Avenue Extension to Parkside Village||113385||Extend Road||Library Avenue||Hillstop Street||$1,566,450|
|Albemarle County||Berkmar Drive Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements||113186||Bikeway/Trails||Berkmar Drive/Rio Road Intersection||Berkmar Drive / Hilton Heights Road Intersection||$1,235,073|
|Albemarle County||Commonwealth Drive / Dominion Drive Sidewalks||113183||Sidewalk (new construction)||Hydraulic Road / Commonwealth Drive Intersection||Dominion Drive / U.S. 29 Intersection||$613,501|
|Charlottesville||Multi-Modal Improvements (Citywide)||113175||Sidewalk (new construction)||Citywide||Citywide||$413,218|
|Charlottesville||West Main Street Phase II||113177||Rconstruction||6th Street NW||8th Street NW||$1,836,522|
The Commonwealth Transportation Board will hold a final vote on June 18, 2019. 
The Board of Supervisors decided on November 2, 2016 to apply for three projects. They are a further extension of Berkmar Drive, preliminary engineering for sidewalks and bike lanes on Avon Street Extended from 5th Street Station Parkway to Mill Creek Drive and a pedestrian crossing at State Farm Boulevard. 
The 2011 General Assembly passed a bill that increases the amount available in the program dramatically. As of FY2012, localities will be able to apply for up to $10 million, providing they have a match. The program will also have a minimum disbursement of $50 million a year and a maximum of $200 million. 
The tentative application date for FY2012 for localities is As of April 29, 2011. The Commonwealth Transportation Board will make awards at its June meeting.
Listen to audio from March 16, 2011 CTB meeting:
<play audio>File:20110316-CTB-VDOT-Revenue-Sharing.mp3 </play audio>
In As of 2011, the City of Charlottesville is applying for $1 million to pay for repair work to the Belmont bridge. They are among 6 localities in VDOT's Culpeper District that are seeking funding through revenue sharing.. However, VDOT is reducing the amount of funding available and is providing only a partial match, meaning the city may only receive $450,000. City officials have confirmed they will receive $460,904 this year.
The City of Charlottesville received $1,000,000 in FY07-08 after contributing $1,500,000 as a match to help pay for adding an extra lane and second lamp on southbound Route 29 onto the eastbound Route 250 bypass.
In FY08, the Board of Supervisors applied for an additional $1,000,000 in revenue sharing to pay for cover the Parkway's cost increase to $30.6 million.
- Web. VDOT Revenue Sharing Program Applications, Jeanette Janiczek, Urban Construction Initiative Program Manager, Staff Report, City of Charlottesville, July 1, 2019, retrieved October 25, 2019.
- Web. Resolution to Participate in Virginia Department of Transportation Revenue Sharing Program for Fiscal Year 2018, Albemarle County, retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Web. [http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2011/mar/Revenue_Sharing_Update6_-_June_2012.pdf FY 2012 Revenue Sharing Program Update], Michael Estes, Director, Local Assistance Division, Virginia Department of Transportation, retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Tubbs, Sean. "City Adopts New Strategy to Accelerate Belmont Bridge Project." Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. 20 May 2010. Web. 21 June 2010. <http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2010/05/belmont-bridge.html>.
- Dixit, Rachana. "Revenue Matching Funds for Roads Cut | Charlottesville Daily Progress." Charlottesville News, Sports, Business, Events and Jobs | Charlottesville Daily Progress. 27 June 2010. Web. 28 June 2010. <http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/article/revenue_matching_funds_for_roads_cut/57668/>.
- "RE: VDOT revenue sharing letter" Message to [Sean Tubbs]] from Jeanette Janiczek, UCI Program Manager. November 1, 2010. E-mail.