University of Virginia Cemetery
|This is a featured article. Learn more about Charlottesville's 250th Anniversary in cvillepedia.|
The University of Virginia Cemetery was founded in 1828 and is the final resting place of several historical figures and important University of Virginia faculty.  Dr. William Henry Tucker was the first to be interred here. The final ground plot was sold in 1966  but the Columbarium is still in use.  Several notable professors and 4 university presidents are buried here. UVa's first mascot, a black and white dog named Beta, and second mascot, a black dog named Seal, are also buried in the cemetery. The UVa Cemetery also includes the University of Virginia Confederate Cemetery.
The land for the cemetery was purchased from John M. Perry by Arthur S. Brockenbrough, UVa's first proctor, on May 9, 1925. The 153 acres between the Rotunda and Observatory Hill were purchased for $6,600.93.  In 1905, the Society for the Continual Care of the Cemetery of the University of Virginia was founded in order to provide maintenance for the cemetery. 
The University of Virginia Confederate Cemetery holds 1,097 soldiers including two Confederate generals, Turner Ashby and Carnot Posey. This section of the cemetery holds 82 confederate soldiers from Alabama, 13 from Florida, 224 from Georgia, 84 from Louisiana, 4 from Maryland, 69 from Mississippi, 200 from North Carolina, 161 from South Carolina, 10 from Tennessee, 12 from Texas, 192 from Virginia, 29 whose states are uncertain, and 17 from northern states. The Ladies of the Confederate Memorial Association, formed in 1866, was responsible for providing wooden grave-markers for the soldiers and built a stone wall around the soldiers' graves. This section of the cemetery also features a commemorative statue simply named the Confederate Monument.
- Web. History of the University Cemetery and Columbarium, Rector and Visitors of University of VIrginia, 12 April 2004, retrieved 19 May 2012.
- Web. Set in Stone, David Maurer, U.Va. Magazine, 2008, retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Web. Columbarium, Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia, 25 July 2012, retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Web. Confederate Monument, Confederate Cemetery, University of Virginia, Visit Charlottesville, retrieved 16 May 2012.