Traveller's Grove

From Cvillepedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Traveller's Grove was one of several unrealized-plans for distinct towns that were to be established within Albemarle County during the early nineteenth century.

History

The proposed town of Traveller's Grove was planned by Colonel John Everett (the father of Charles Everett) to be established at the junction of Old Lynchburg Road and the Taylor's Gap Roads in modern Earlysville. Four lots that were formally numbered but evidently unmarked by improvements of any kind were sold to Paul Apple, and subsequently underwent two further transfers before their history terminated. In 1807, after having disposed of the environs of the proposed town, Everett moved to Cabell County.

Everett was succeeded in the possession of Traveller's Grove by James Kinsloving, Jr., in whose time the name of the area was changed to Pleasant Grove. In later years the locale was purchased by the Methodist churches of the adjacent circuit for a parsonage, and though held now by other hands it still goes in the neighborhood by that name.

Pleasant Grove Baptist Church today bears the name of the proposed town.[1]

References

  1. Web. Albemarle County in Virginia, C.J. Carrier Company, 1901