|Timberlake Branham House|
|Virginia Landmarks Register #104-0232|
|Individually Protected Property|
|Location:||1512 Market Street East|
|Nearest city:||Charlottesville, VA|
|Part of:||Woolen Mills Village Historic District|
|Designated VLR:||October 20, 1981|
|Designated IPP:||Sept 14, 1993|
The Timberlake-Branham House in the Woolen Mills neighborhood is one of Charlottesville's individually protected properties, meaning any exterior changes or potential demolition would have to be approved by the Board of Architectural Review.
In 1886, James E. Timberlake bought 5.5 acres of land overlooking surrounding farmland and built his house. In 1889 he bought 5.5 more acres of adjoining land. For almost fifty years the house remained with the Timberlakes, including a family cemetery to the nowrthwest of the house. The family bequeathed the house to their daughter, Bessie M. Mann, in 1916. In 1937 Mann sold the house to Henry E. Fairburn, who sold it the following year.
In 1988 Republic Home Investment Corporation purchased the home from Thomas Hickman and sold it to Rivanna Partners in 1989. It was then turned into an Adult Care Center.
The Timberlake-Branham House is located at 1512 Market Street East
- "Charlottesville : Architectural Design Control District and Individually Protected Property Information." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 16 Aug. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=812>.
- Web. Timberlake-Branham House Survey Form 104-0232, Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Charlottesville's Multiple Resource Area, March 21, 1994, retrieved June 15, 2012.
- Web. Timberlake-Branham House Architectural Description, Historic Woolen Mills, retrieved June 15, 2012.