The Daily Progress (often referred to as "the Progress") is the area's only daily newspaper. The paper is currently one of many owned by Lee Enterprises along with eight other Virginia newspapers.
Beginning on June 27, 2023, six Virginia newspapers, including The News Virginian in Waynesboro and The Daily Progress in Charlottesville, will switch to a three-day-a-week print schedule. The newspapers, all owned by the Davenport, Iowa,-based Lee Enterprises, announced the print schedule change in similarly-worded “To Our Readers” items posted on their websites on Sunday, May 28, 2023.
The first issue of the newspaper was published on September 14, 1892 by James Hubert Lindsay & Frank Lindsay. The brothers printed 200 copies on a used Campbell flatbed press at 112 Fourth Street, NE. James Lindsay was the newspaper's founder and publisher. At the end of 1895, Lindsay announced in an editorial that subscriptions were to be paid in advance rather "than the old plan of waiting until the amounts due on subscription are large and burdensome." 
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Whereas many cities in the early 1900's were served by at least 2 competing daily newspapers—with the competitors each sympathetic to a different political party or published at the opposite end of the day —
Sale to Media General
Partnership with Charlottesville Tomorrow
Sale to Berkshire Hathaway
On May 17, 2012 Media General, Inc. announced signed agreements with Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., whereby a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, BH Media Group, will purchase newspapers owned by Media General, including the Progress.
Sale to Lee Enterprises
The sale to Lee Enterprises was completed on March 16, 2020.  Soon after the sale, Lee announced cuts at all of its Virginia newspapers, including the Daily Progress. Copy editing and layout jobs were all moved to centralized locations elsewhere in the country. 
Reporters who covered Albemarle County
- Allison Wrabel
- Michael C. Bragg
- Reynolds Hutchins
- Aaron Richardson (June 2011-March 2013)
- Brandon Shulleeta (July 2008-May 2011)
- Jeremy Borden (September 2006-June 2008)
- Jessica Kitchin (2005-August 2006)
Reporters who covered Charlottesville
- Ginny Bixby (2020-2022)
- Nolan Stout (2018-2020)
- Chris Suarez (2015-2018)
- Aaron Richardson (March 2013-2015) - Previously County reporter
- Graham Moomaw (February 2011 - January 2013)
- Rachana Dixit (July 2008-December 2010)
- Seth Rosen (February 2007-June 2008)
- Liana Bayne, Public Safety Reporter (June 2013-present)
- Samantha Koon (October 2011-Present)
- Brian McNeil, Politics/Business Reporter
- Julie Stavitski (Covered education around 2005)
- Brian Root (Business reporter in 1998)
- Kimberly O'Brien (city reporter active in 1998)
- Beverley Allison (1968)
- Mike Lantrip (1968)
- Eleanor Berry (1968)
- Chris Cramer, Sports Columnist (1968)
- Ruth Lane, reporter in the 1960's 
- Peter Yates, Publisher
- Aaron Richardson, Managing Editor
- Anita Shelburne, Editorial Page Editor
- Wes Hester, Managing Editor (2016-2017)
- Lawrence McConnell, Former Publisher
- Rob Jiranek, Former Publisher (2016-2018) 
- Nick Mathews, Managing Editor (2015-2016)
- Lee Wolverton, Managing Editor
- McGregor McCance, Managing Editor ( - May 4 2012)
- Lou Hatter
- Lindsey B. Mount
- Edward Allen Cleaton (appointed August 1934) 
- James Hubert Lindsay (1892-1934)
- Charles Meredith Brand – City Editor from 1892 to his death in 1897.
- Web. Lee Enterprises buys BH Media properties, including The Daily Progress, Staff Reports, Daily Progress, Berkshire Hathaway, January 30, 2020, retrieved January 3, 2021. Print. January 30, 2020 page A1.
- Web. Daily Progress switching to three-day-a-week print schedule, Augusta Free Press LLC, May 28, 2023 | 1:48 pm, retrieved May 30, 2023.
- Web. Yesteryears: James H. Lindsay, David A. Maurer, Daily Progress, Media General, retrieved 29 Jan 2012.
- Web. Business Matter, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, December 24, 1895, retrieved December 25, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. December 24, 1895 page 2.
- Web. Charles Meriwether Brand - His Death in This City Occurred this Morning, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, January 14, 1897, retrieved January 14, 2023. Print. January 14, 1897 page 1.
- Web. Charlottesville Hits Air With A Bang; Thousands Hear, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, May 30, 1927, retrieved May 30, 2016 from University of Virginia Library.
- Web. Charlottesville Media: "The Reflector" Dusts Off a 70-year Mission, John Borgmeyer, News Article, C-Ville Weekly (via George Loper), September 16, 2003, retrieved January 3, 2020.
- Print: Future Plans for Progress Being Made, Staff reports, Daily Progress, Lindsay family January 12, 1960, Page 11.
- Print: The Seventies: Central Virginia Ends Decade of Joy and Tragedy, Doug Kamholz, Daily Progress, Worrell Newspaper group January 1, 1980, Page A6.
- Web. Weschler's world: Berkshire Hathaway buys 'Daily Progress', Lisa Provence, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, May 17 2012
- Partners: Progress hooks up with growth-watchers, Lisa Provence, The Hook, August 30 2009
- Web. Media General Announces Agreements with Berkshire Hathaway for Purchase of Newspapers and New Financing, Press release, Media General, May 17, 2012
- Web. Berkshire Hathaway will purchase Media General newspapers, including Daily Progress, staff report, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, May 17, 2012
- Web. Journalists of the Daily Progress vote 12 to 1 to form Blue Ridge Guild, News Article, The News Guild, retrieved November 9, 2019.
- Web. The Daily Progress, Times-Dispatch and other newspapers, Staff reports, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, January 3, 2021, retrieved January 3, 2021.
- Web. [https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/lee-enterprises-plans-newsroom-cuts-at-virginia-publications/ Lee Enterprises plans newsroom cuts at Virginia publications Daily Progress copy editors' jobs moving to Midwest hub], Kate Andrews, News Article, Virginia Business, July 31, 2021, retrieved January 3, 2020.
- Web. Community rallies around closing Batesville Store, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, Media General, 13 June 2011, retrieved 13 June 2011.
- Web. Special thanks to Jessica Kitchin, Daily Progress, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 4, 2006, retrieved January 3, 2021.
- Web. Albemarle looking at million dollar shortfall, Samantha Koon, Daily Progress, Media General, 4 October 2011, retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Web. Scribner Says Water City's Main Problem, Ruth Lane, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, March 28, 1962, retrieved June 10, 2017 from University of Virginia Library. Print. March 28, 1962 page 17.
- Web. Rob Jiranek out as Daily Progress publisher, Lisa Provence, C-Ville Weekly, May 2, 2018, retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Web. Progress editor departing for UVa post, Staff reports, Daily Progress, Media General, May 3 2012
- Web. Lou Hatter, Linked In, retrieved May 18, 2012.
- Web. The Daily Progress Appoints Allen Clayton Managing Editor, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, August 8, 1933, retrieved August 9, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. August 8, 1933 page 1.