The Cedars is a 19th century structure in Albemarle County listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register. It was listed on the VLR on April 18, 1989 and the National Register of Historic Places on December 27, 1990. 
Narrative from Virginia Landmarks Registry
"Maintaining a strong presence along the scenic U.S. Highway 250, The Cedars exhibits an interesting blending of the Greek Revival style with the local Jeffersonian classicism. The entablature, window trim, and interior woodwork employ Greek profiles; however, the oversize gleaming white trim against red brick, and the use of Chinese railings harken back to Jeffersonian works. The house was built in the 1850s for Col. John S. Cocke, a relative of John Hartwell Cocke of Bremo. It has had a long and colorful history, serving variously as a residence, a boys’ school, a Civil War hospital, and possibly a tavern. In 1902 the house was purchased by Chiswell Dabney Langhorne of nearby Mirador, who used the basement for gaming rooms and for many years the house was known as the “casino.” Complementing the house is an adjacent galleried kitchen/servants’ quarter."
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
- Web. 002-0086 The Cedars, Virginia Landmarks Register, September 27, 2019, retrieved January 18, 2020.