Template:On this day/August 1
- 1818 – Twenty-one representatives from senatorial districts meet in a tavern at Rockfish Gap in the Blue Ridge. They recommend Central College in Charlottesville as the site for the university. On February 21, the General Assembly approved funds for a state university to be called the “University of Virginia,” but with the location unspecified. Governor James P. Preston appoints delegates to a commission charged with choosing a site.
- 1916 – Charlottesville became a city of the first-class when it undertook annexation of a large portion of surrounding suburbs, which more than tripled its size. Subsequent annexations took place in 1939, 1963 and 1968.
- 1935 – Two chapels moved from Blue Ridge Archdeaconry to Albemarle on account of National Park land purchases.