Sperry Marine is a military contractor and subsidiary of Northrup Grumman that formerly headquartered in Albemarle County with manufacturing space located on U.S. 29 that employs over 600 people.
|An article on Wikipedia has information about Sperry Marine in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
In May 2011, Sperry Marine announced it would lay 60 people off. The move is part of a larger Northrup Grumman effort to reduce its workforce by 500 people. After the terminations, it was estimated 725 people would still be employed at the plant.  In June 2010, 26 people were laid off. 
The layoffs continued in early December 2011 when the company announced it would close its Charlottesville-based North American headquarters, resulting in 37 additional job losses.  The last of the headquarters' employees were laid off and the business offices in Greenbrier Commons were closed in January 2012. The factory located on Route 29 remains open.
- Web. Sperry Marine: Charlottesville, USA, company website, Sperry Marine, retrieved 25 June 2010.
- Web. Unhappy New Year: Local Sperry HQ to shut down as layoffs loom, David McNair, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 2 Dec 2011, retrieved 2 Mar 2012.
- Web. County of Albemarle, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Minutes, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, Albemarle County, January 12, 1977, retrieved March 4, 2021.
- Web. 60 fired from Sperry Marine, Bryan Mckenzie, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, May 18, 2011, retrieved May 19, 2011.
- Web. Sperry Marine HQ in Albemarle County Closing, Charlottesville Newsplex, Gray Television, December 2, 2011, retrieved December 5, 2011.