Safe Routes to School
|Safe Routes to School|
Safe Routes to School is a federal program that assists localities with the construction and maintenance of sidewalks and other trails that help students walk or cycle to their school.
|An article on Wikipedia has information about Safe Routes to School in areas beyond Albemarle County's borders.|
Albemarle County projects
Crozet Elementary School and Field School
Albemarle County received a $190,000 grant for road and sidewalk improvements in 2010 to access Crozet Elementary School and the Field School. It was to have be constructed in early 2012 if plans are finished by then. 
Jack Jouett and Greer
The county also received a Safe Routes grant for Jack Jouett Middle School and Greer Elementary School.  The plan, which consists of seven individual infrastructural improvement projects, is still in its initial phase as of June 2012 and requires approval from VDOT before requesting funding. 
Albemarle used a combination of Neighborhood Improvement Funding Initiative, Safe Routes and local matches work on the project, which will be built by Kimley-Horn. Construction is scheduled for the second quarter of 2020. 
The city hired a part-time coordinator in October 2016 and the position was made full-time soon after. 
This will build a path from 11th Street to Venable School. 
This will add new sidewalks to make it safer for children to walk to the school.
- Web. Safe Routes to School Activities and Program Plan, Report, City of Charlottesville, retrieved July 13, 2018.
- Web. Grant paves way for new school sidewalks, staff report, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, May 12, 2010
- Web. Walking to Crozet Elementary to get easier, safer, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 3, 2012, retrieved August 16, 2019.
- Web. Safe Routes to School Travel Plan - Greer Elementary and Jouett Middle, retrieved June 6, 2012.
- Web. Routes to Greer Elementary, Jouett Middle School to get safer, Ian Lamb, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 24, 2012, retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Web. Capital Projects Status Report - 2nd Quarter CY2019, Status Report, Facilities & Environmental Services Department Facilities Planning & Construction Division, August 7, 2019, retrieved August 16, 2019.
- Web. Safe Routes to School, Website, City of Charlottesville, retrieved July 13, 2018.