Red Hill Elementary School
Red Hill Elementary School is an Albemarle County public elementary school providing pre-K through 5th grade. Students from Red Hill will attend Walton Middle School and graduate from Monticello High School. As of 2012, Red Hill enrolled 169 students and employed 52 staff and faculty members.
|This school article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
In the early twentieth century, children in the Red Hill community were taught in the home of J.N. Faris. As the student population grew, it soon became evident that the workload was beyond Faris' resources and, in 1905, Red Hill Elementary was built. Originally the school consisted of three rooms and three teachers. By 1918 the faculty had grown to six people. However, the original school was destroyed by fire in 1920 and was not fully rebuilt until 1922. A temporary low-frame replacement was built by community members soon after the blaze. The Daily Progress reported that "everybody that could drive a nail or carry a plank was called." 
The school continued to grow throughout the twentieth century and in 1980 the main building that stands today was opened, maintaining a remnant of its past in the form of a 1972 addition known affectionately as "the pod."
In 2019, work is underway on a second phase of renovations at the school that have a budget of $5.3 million. 
The current principal of Red Hill Elementary is Art Stow.
The following is a list of people who have served as principal.
|2018 - present||Nancy McCullen|
|2005 - 2018||Art Stow|
|2001 - 2005||Sidney Tate|
|1996 - 2001||Debora Collins|
|1982 - 1996||Richard Spitler|
|1979 - 1982||Donn Goodwin|
|1971 - 1979||Dennis Kendrick|
|1966 - 1971||Joseph Trice|
|1958 - 1966||Charles Witt|
|1956 - 1958||Edwin Logan|
|1955 - 1956||Thomas Alverson|
|1946 - 1955||Henry Burruss|
|1937 - 1946||Joel Kidd|
|1931 - 1937||Harold Swartz|
|1928 - 1929||Geo Dunn|
|1927 - 1928||W. Rowan|
|1924 - 1925||S. Spraker|
Red Hill Elementary is located at 3901 Red Hill School Road.
- Web. Red Hill Elementary, Albemarle County Public Schools, retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Web. Red Hill School Rebuilt in Hurry, Daily, Daily Progress Digitzed Microfilm, University of Virginia Library, January 24, 1920, retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Web. School Profile, Albemarle County Public Schools, retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Web. Yancey decision retains critical piece of community's fabric, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, October 13, 2012, retrieved October 17, 2012.
- Web. Red Hill Elementary School in Albemarle Co. to Receive $5.3 Million Renovation, Carly Kemper, News Article, WVIR NBC29, June 16, 2019, retrieved June 24, 2019.