Patton Mansion

From Cvillepedia
(Redirected from Patton House)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Patton Mansion, c. 1980 (built 1907)

The Patton Mansion, also know as the Patton House, is a two-story Jeffersonian Classical Revival structure on West Main Street that was built in 1907 and is currently home to a University of Virginia Community Credit Union. [1]

Significance: The Patton Mansion is an impressive example of the Jeffersonian Revival Style. It was the home of John S. Patton, Librarian at the University.

Street Address: 1018 W Main St, Charlottesville, VA 22903

Ownership information: 10/2/2008; $3,166,053.00; THE RECTOR & VISITORS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA.

Assessment (2008): $603,300.00

Assessment (2023): $3,316,400.00

Parcel Number: 100069L00
State Code: 7.6 Exempt Educational
Tax Type: Exempt
Zone: WMWH
Acreage: 0.3400
Legal: PARCEL A

Historic description

This house a is often confused with the Fitch-Patton House which was built the 1850's and razed a century later in the 1950's. It stood just to the west of this house on the present parking lot . When John Jordan subdivided a five-acre tract on the south side of "the road from Charlottesville to the University" in 1852, Mary Fitch purchased two 100-foot lot (ACDB 53-5). She built a two-storey brick house on the western lot, and at her death in 1868, she willed both lots to her grand-niece Pauline S. Patton (ACWB 28-99). Miss Patton wrote her will in 1882, leaving the property to her nephew John S. Patton, who was late the Librarian at the University (City WB 1-397). It was probably he who built this brick house in 1907, though he did not receive title to it until his aunt's death in 1915. He apparently lived in this newer house, and his daughter Evelyn and her husband Judge J. Callan Brooks lived in the older house. Theodore H. and Ethel W. Wood bought this newer house from the Patton estate in 1948 (City DB 138-445) and conducted an antique shop there. E. L . Bailey bought it from the Woods in 1954 (DB 173-327) and sold it to The Citizen's Corporation in 1958 (DB 208-170). It was completely remodeled in 1953-54 and has housed a branch of The Citizen's Bank (now Central Fidelity Bank) since 1554. The present owners purchased it in 1976 (DB 376-170). Additional references City WB 3-464, 4-8. (

Context

  • Mary N. Bernard Fitch (d. 1868, aged 82): wife of William D. Fitch (d. 1848, age 66). He operated a tavern in Milton, Virginia. In 1829 he was proprietor of the Eagle Tavern in the town of Charlottesville.
  • Pauline S. Patton (d. 1915, aged 79): grand-niece of Mary Fitch


Logo-small25.jpg This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.


Coordinates:Erioll world.svg.png 38°01′58″N 78°29′44″W / 38.032768°N 78.495572°W / 38.032768; -78.495572


References

  1. Web. [https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/104-0249_Patton_Mansion_1982_NR_documentation.pdf VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF HISTORIC RESOURCES PROPERTY SURVEY FORM RECONNAISSANCE LEVEL], March 21, 1994, retrieved November 12, 2013.