Oberdorfer's

From Cvillepedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Oberdorfer's was a department store located in downtown Charlottesville in the 19th and 20th centuries located at 301 East Main Street .[1]

In the beginning of the 21st century, the original building became the home of Rapture and Vivian's'.

Logo-small25.jpg This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.


History

The original Oberdorfer's store
Oberdorfer's store advertisement, 1914-15 Charlottesville City Directory.

The Oberdorfers were a German-Jewish family that immigrated to the United States in the mid-19th century. Bernard Oberdorfer opened a dry goods store "Oberdorfers", originally located on the northeastern corner of 3rd and East Main streets. The store was later managed by his son, Philip B. Oberdorfer in the early 1900's under the name "P. B. Oberdorfer". The business moved into a new store at the same location in 1917. Sometime during the Great Depression (1929–1941), the building was purchased by W. T. Grant.

References

  1. Web. Landmark Survey 1979, City Document, Landmark Commission - Department of Community Development, August, 1974, retrieved May 16, 2024.

External Links