Oakhurst-Gildersleeve Neighborhood Historic District
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The Oakhurst-Gildersleeve Neighborhood Historic District, located in Charlottesville, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 25, 2009. This historic district, which was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register on December 19, 2008, is near Jefferson Park Avenue (which forms the northern and western district boundaries) and is southwest of the University of Virginia. Maywood Lane is the southern boundary and the eastern boundary is formed by the back edge of properties fronting Valley Road, Valley Circle, and Oakhurst Circle.
The Oakhurst-Gildersleeve Neighborhood was originally one property with a prominent house known as Oakhurst, which burned in 1915. After the home burned, the property was gradually subdivided and became a residential community for employees of the University of Virginia and Charlottesville businessmen. Classics professor, Basil L Gildersleeve likely owned and rented out Oakhurst when it burned, and his name later became associated with the new development on the property through the naming of Gildersleeve Wood, the street that connects Oakhurst Circle with Valley Road. 
- Web. Oakhurst-Gildersleeve Neighborhood Historic Districts, retrieved 29 Dec. 2010.