The suggested site of North Milton was laid out by Thomas Mann Randolph Jr. (the son-in-law of Thomas Jefferson) from 50 acres of his land on the north side of the Rivanna River opposite from the port of Milton. The proposed town had been established by the legislature and placed in the hands of trustees; those who had been appointed to that office were Francis Walker, William D. Meriwether, Edward Moore, James Barbour, William Bache, George Divers, Hore Brouse Trist, Edward Garland, and David Higginbotham.
The only land on this site that was ever sold was Lot 8, which was conveyed to John Watson in 1802. A tobacco warehouse was established there and, for a short time, conducted under the same inspection that had the oversight of the warehouse at Milton.
Constantly overshadowed by its neighbor across the river, North Milton was never able to be developed into its own town, and attempts to do so were soon abandoned. The only remaining evidence of the settlement is the Clifton edifice, originally built by Randolph to serve as the hub of the nascent community. The structure served first as a warehouse and then as Randolph's residence.
- Web. The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Volume 40: 4 March to 10 July 1803, Princeton University Library, 1803
- Web. Albemarle County in Virginia, C.J. Carrier Company, 1901