Norman K. Moon
|Norman K. Moon|
Judge, U.S. District Court
|District||Western District of Virginia|
|Term Start||November 12, 1997|
Judge, Court of Appeals
|District||Commonwealth of Virginia|
|District||Twenty-fourth Judicial Circuit of Virginia|
|Date of birth||1936|
|Place of birth||Lynchburg, Virginia|
|Alma mater||University of Virginia|
Judge Norman K. Moon is a senior status judge on the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia (W.D. Va.).
|This biographical article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Norman Moon was born in Lynchburg, Virginia, in 1936. He received his BA, Juris Doctorate, and Master of Laws, from the University of Virginia and began practicing privately in Lynchburg in 1962. His first judgeship in 1974 on the 24th Judicial Circuit of Virginia and rose to the Court of Appeals for the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1985. On October 7, 1997, he was nominated to the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia by President Bill Clinton. He assumed senior status on July 1, 2010.
As a district judge for the W.D. Va., Moon has presided over several cases that relate to the Charlottesvile-Albemarle area, including:
- the Meadow Creek Parkway
- Trump Virginia Acquisition, LLC's claim to Albemarle House
- a lawsuit brought by Liberty University questioning the legality of President Obama's healthcare mandate in Virginia
- a change of venue suit regarding the Landmark Hotel
- Web. Judge's semi-retirment opens spot on federal bench, Chris Dumond Media General News Service, The Daily Progress, April 15, 2010, retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Web. History of the Federal Judiciary, Federal Judicial Center, Washington, D.C., retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Web. Judge Moon rules against Coalition to Preserve McIntire Park; Parkway Interchange to proceed, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 29, 2012, retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Web. Judge strikes Trump claim, Samantha Koon, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, August 17, 2012, retrieved August 20, 2012. Print. August 18, 2012 page A1.
- Web. Health Law Suit Dismissed by Judge Norman Moon, Kevin Sack, New York Times, November 30, 2010, retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Web. Landmark Hotel suit headed to Ga. court, Tasha Kates, The Daily Progress, November 24, 2010, retrieved August 20, 2012.