Nelson County is located in central Virginia along the eastern edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It has a population of under 15,000 and is governed by a five-member Board of Supervisors. The county began a review of its Comprehensive Plan in the spring of 2022.
Nelson is a member of the Thomas Jefferson Planning District.
|This topic is well-covered by the wikipedia article Nelson County, Virginia|
The Nelson County Planning Commission begun an update the Comprehensive Plan in June 2021. 
- December 14, 2021, the Nelson County Board of Supervisors voted to spend $160,000 to hire The Berkley Group to update the county's Comprehensive Plan. 
- May 31, 2022 – The Board of Supervisors and the Planning Commission toured the county during the day before holding a kickoff meeting.
Board of Supervisors
- Jesse Rutherford, Chair, East District (term expires December 2025)
- J. David Parr, Vice Chair West District (term expires December 2023)
- Robert "Skip" Barton South District (term expires December 2023)
- Thomas D. Harvey, North District (term expires December 2025)
- Ernie Reed, Central District (term expires December 2025)
In the School Board race, North District incumbent Janet Turner-Giles is unopposed. Central District representative Margaret Clair will not run for an additional term. No has filed for that seat and there is no candidate for the East District. 
Sheriff David W. Hill won re-election to a second term.
Pamela C. Campbell became Commissioner of Revenue.
- Web. Analyzing area's growth will be key for future planning, Brandon Shulleeta, Daily Progress, Media General, February 5, 2011, retrieved June 23, 2022.
- Web. [University of Virginia Weldon Cooper Center, Demographics Research Group. (2020) Virginia Population Estimates], University of Virginia Weldon Cooper Center, Demographics Research Group, retrieved May 31, 2022.
- Web. Population growth up 12.8 percent, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Town Crier Productions, January 29, 2022, retrieved May 31, 2022.
- Web. Virginia Population Projections, Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service at the University of Virginia, retrieved November 19, 2023.
- Web. Nelson County earned about $217.8 million in tourism revenue in 2019, Michael Caldwell, News Article, CBS19, October 5, 2020, retrieved October 15, 2020.
- Web. Nelson comprehensive plan update on county's to-do list, Justin Faulconer, News Article, January 29, 2020, retrieved January 31, 2020.
- Web. Consultant chosen for comprehensive plan update, Justin Faulconer, News Article, Lynchburg News and Advance, December 22, 2021, retrieved December 24, 2021.
- Web. [ ]
- Web. New Nelson County administrator named, Justin Faulconer, News Article, Lynchburg News & Advance, May 27, 2022, retrieved June 23, 2022.
- Web. Rutherford reappointed Nelson board of supervisors chair, Video, Lynchburg News & Advance, January 12, 2023, retrieved January 13, 2023.
- Web. As filing deadline passes, field of candidates for local races takes shape, Nick Cropper, News Article, Lee Enterprises, Lynchburg, VA, June 16, 2021, retrieved June 17, 2021.
- Web. New Nelson County schools superintendent named, Emma Martin, News Article, Nelson County Times, March 25, 2022
- Web. Agenda Packet for October 1, 2020 TJPDC Meeting, Meeting Packet, Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission, retrieved September 26, 2020.
- Web. Nelson County Public Schools to remain in virtual format through end of semester, Nick Cropper, News Article, Lynchburg News and Advance, October, retrieved October 15, 2020.