The Nelson County Planning Commission will revisit and update the Comprehensive Plan by June 2021. 
Board of Supervisors
- Ernie Reed, Chair, Central District (term expires December 2021)
- Jesse Rutherford, Vice Chair, East District (term expires December 2021)
- J. David Parr, West District (term expires December 2023)
- Thomas D. Harvey, North District (term expires December 2021)
- Robert "Skip" Barton South District (term expires December 2023)
In the North District, incumbent Thomas D. Harvey will face Democrat Mary Cunningham. Harvey is an independent. In the Central District, incumbent Ernie Reed will face Republican Pamela Brice. Reed is a Democrat. Republican Jesse Rutherford faces no opposition in his bid for re-election to the East District. 
In the School Board race, North District incumbent Janet Turner-Giles is unopposed. Central District representative Margaret Clair will not run for an additional term. No has filed for that seat and there is no candidate for the East District. 
Sheriff David W. Hill won re-election to a second term.
Pamela C. Campbell became Commissioner of Revenue.
- Web. Analyzing area's growth will be key for future planning, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, February 5, 2011, retrieved February 9, 2011.
- Web. Virginia Population Estimates, Website, Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, January 30, 2017, retrieved April 4, 2017.
- Web. Nelson comprehensive plan update on county's to-do list, Justin Faulconer, News Article, January 29, 2020, retrieved January 31, 2020.
- Web. Nelson County earned about $217.8 million in tourism revenue in 2019, Michael Caldwell, News Article, CBS19, October 5, 2020, retrieved October 15, 2020.
- Web. Agenda Packet for October 1, 2020 TJPDC Meeting, Meeting Packet, Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission, retrieved September 26, 2020.
- Web. Nelson County Public Schools to remain in virtual format through end of semester, Nick Cropper, News Article, Lynchburg News and Advance, October, retrieved October 15, 2020.
- Web. As filing deadline passes, field of candidates for local races takes shape, Nick Cropper, News Article, Lee Enterprises, Lynchburg, VA, June 16, 2021, retrieved June 17, 2021.