Nancy K. O'Brien
Nancy O'Brien in May 2012
|Preceded by||Charles Barbour|
|Succeeded by||Laurence Brunton|
One reason O'Brien got involved in local politics was to oppose a new road plan that consisted of the Meadowcreek Parkway and the Greenbrier Parkway. She remains opposed to the former, and happy the latter never got built. 
Other political activities
O'Brien served for 17 years as the Executive Director of the Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission, and also as a member of the Planning Commission. Nancy currently[when?] serves on the Department of Housing Authority and Community Development Board and the Virginia Housing Development Authority Board. She is also the chair of the Advisory Committee for the Virginia Community Capital Bank.
O'Brien also served on Virginia's Board of Housing and Urban Development.
At a gathering of former mayors and former vice mayors in September 2015, O'Brien said the contemporary government in Charlottesville has too many committees. 
- 'Mayorsville: Here, everybody's a mayor', 10 Aug. 2006. Lisa Provence. The Hook. 2 May 2009.
- Profile, Democratic Party of Virginia, retrieved 18 Jul 2009.
- Web. Former mayors and vice mayors offer advice to City Council, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 7, 2015, retrieved November 13, 2017.
- Charlottesville City Council Minutes. 7 Apr. 2003. City of Charlottesville, Virginia. 24 Mar. 2009 <http://weblink.charlottesville.org/DocView.aspx?id=307384>.
- Web. Paul Goodloe McIntire Citizenship Award, Website, Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce, retrieved November 13, 2017.