Monticello Wine Company
|This topic is well-covered by the wikipedia article Wine Company Monticello Wine Company|
Founded in 1873, the Monticello Wine Company was considered the largest winery in the South.  The company shut down with the onset of Prohibition. Virginia went dry at the stroke of midnight on November 1, 1916. The whole country followed on January 16, 1920.
Capt. Adolph Russow (April 9, 1851 – October 8, 1923) had been in charge of the business from 1873 to 1916, and its general manager and superintendent. Russow lived in a company house at what is now 212 Wine Street. The Monticello Wine Company gave him the house after selling off its stock and closing its doors in 1916, a “victim” of state-adopted prohibition.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
- Web. Historical Highway Markers: Monticello Wine Company, Virginia Department of Historic Resources
- Web. Virginia's Prohibition history, Lorraine Eaton, The Virginian-Pilot, 150 W. Brambleton Ave., Norfolk, VA, November 30, 2008, retrieved March 20, 2019.
- "Charlottesville : Architectural Design Control District and Individually Protected Property Information." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 16 Aug. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=812>.