Monticello Bank currency issued September 6, 1860
Once located at 110 & 117 W Main St, then Northwest Corner of E Main St & Fourth NE St (Union Street), Charlottesville. creation: 1853; alteration: 1854. 1948 Razed--Site of later Miller & Rhoads Department Store.
Monticello Bank was in existence from 1853-65 and became the Charlottesville National Bank. Several denominations on this bank include Monticello and Thomas Jefferson vignettes.
The bank quickly turned to Hoyer & Ludwig to produce low denominations as soon as the war started. This group includes an interesting R-6 variety that is printed on paper watermarked "Bank of the United States"