Martha Jefferson Historic Conservation District
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The Martha Jefferson Historic Conservation District, located in the Martha Jefferson neighborhood, was designated by City Council October 18, 2010 as Charlottesville's first Historic Conservation District, after The Martha Jefferson Neighborhood Association filed an application on May 24, 2010.
The area began as a large farm known as Locust Grove that was later subdivided. The neighborhood began to develop in the late 19th century with the help of the Locust Grove Investment Company and continued to grow with the establishment of the Martha Jefferson Hospital in 1903.
The district is irregular but contiguous, including all properties on Locust Avenue from East High Street in the south to the 250 bypass in the north. The district also extends to properties west to Lexington Avenue east to Grove Avenue, from East High north to Poplar Street
The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 21, 2008 and the Virginia Landmarks Register on December 5, 2007.
- Web. Martha Jefferson Historic District, City of Charlottesville, retrieved 29 Dec. 2010.
- Web. PROPOSED MARTHA JEFFERSON NATIONAL REGISTER HISTORIC DISTRICT, SEPTEMBER 2007