|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The King-Runkle House is one of Charlottesville's individually protected properties, meaning any exterior changes or potential demolition would have to be approved by the Board of Architectural Review.
L.A. King purchased the lot upon which the King-Runkle house was built in 1891. Although tradition holds that the house was built in 1875, the house was likely built in 1891. The house remained in the King family until 1921 when it was sold to A.M.E. Runkle, who operated it as a boarding house. In 1958, Runkle sold the house to Goldie M. Allen, Sue Allen Ball, and Francis W. Halliday, three sisters continued to operate it as a boarding house under the name of "The Runkle House."
The house was purchased by Joe H. McMurray in 1969 after the sisters had all died and sold again in 1974 to Russell C. Williams, who rented it to students.
The King-Runkle House is located at 201 14th NW Street
- "Charlottesville : Architectural Design Control District and Individually Protected Property Information." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 16 Aug. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=812>.
- Web. King-Runkle House Survey Form 104-0248, Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Charlottesville's Multiple Resource Area, March 21, 1994, retrieved June 15, 2012.