Councilor Holly Edwards (D-At Large)
Charlottesville City Council
|Term Start||January 1, 2008|
|Term End||December 31, 2011|
|Date of birth||Mar. 7, 1960
|Date of death||Jan. 7, 2017|
|Spouse||Pastor Kendrick Edwards|
|Alma mater||Hampton Institute
Holly Edwards (1960-2017) is a former member of the Charlottesville City Council who served from 2008 to 2011. She was elected as a Democrat on November 6, 2007. Edwards passed away Jan. 7, 2017.
While on Council, Edwards served briefly as a member of the Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority's Board of Directors and also served on the working group overseeing the creation of the Regional Transit Authority. She also served on the Rivanna River Basin Commission.
Edwards was nominated to serve as Mayor at City Council's first meeting of 2010, but declined to accept the position. Instead, she was elected to serve as vice mayor.
Edwards announced that she would not seek re-election after her first term on council.
In September 2015, Edwards convened a gathering of former mayors and vice mayors.
Edwards was born to physicist Rudolph Kerr, and his wife Bernice, an Educator. Edwards was raised in Washington D.C.
Edwards moved to Charlottesville in 1991 after accepting a nursing scholarship at the University of Virginia. She lives in Belmont-Carlton with her husband, Kendrick, and daughters Christen, Shelby, Bernice and Jean.
- Bachelor of Arts-Psychology, Hampton Institute, 1981.
- Masters of Education-Counseling Psychology, Howard University, 1984.
- Bachelor of Science-Nursing, Hampton University, 1990.
Edwards worked as a nurse working with the Jefferson Area Board for Aging at the Crescent Hall and Westhaven public housing sites. Before her election to city council, Edwards was a program coordinator with with Public Housing Association of Residents.
Past assignments include:
- Dialogue on Race Steering Committee (2009)
- South Fork Rivanna Reservoir Stewardship Task Force (2008-2009)
2011 election for City Council
Holly Edward's February 21, 2011 announcement that she will not run for re-election to Charlottesville City Council.
2007 election for City Council
|Satyendra Huja (D)||3,797||64.27|
|David E. Brown (D) incumbent||3,781||50.47|
|Holly Edwards (D)||3,711||49.53|
|Peter Kleeman (I)||2,212||na|
|Barbara Haskins (I)||2,111||35.73|
Overall voter turnout for this election was 25.89%. Voters could cast three votes, one for each of the three seats available, hence the percentages do not total 100%.
|Candidate Profile Resources|
|Candidate||Holly Edwards (D) - Challenger * WINNER|
|Office||Charlottesville City Council|
|Election year||2007 election|
|Candidate interviews by Charlottesville Tomorrow|
|Candidate interview transcript|
|Candidate interview audio|
- Web. Democrats sweep City Council, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, November 6, 2007, retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Web. Holly Marie Kerr Edwards, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 10 Jan. 2017, retrieved 11 Jan. 2017.
- Web. , Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, April 7, 2009, retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, 4 Jan. 2010.
- Web. Breaking news: Holly Edwards will not seek 2nd council term, Schilling Show blog, Feb 21 2011
- Web. Holly Edwards' new post helps housing residents become self-sufficient, Chiara Canzi, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, January 3, 2011, retrieved August 22, 2012. Print. January 3, 2011 , 24.01, .
- Web. Former mayors and vice mayors offer advice to City Council, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 7, 2015, retrieved November 13, 2017.
- Web. , Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 13, 2007, retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Web. , Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, retrieved November 15, 2010.
- Web. Burley Varsity Club honors 11 community members, Staff reports, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, May 27, 2017, retrieved May 29, 2017.
- Web. Holly Edwards, The Bridge Progressive Arts Initiative, retrieved 9 July 2013.
- Web. Edwards will not run for second term on Charlottesville City Council, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow, February 21, 2011, retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Charlottesville City Council Meeting. City Hall, Charlottesville. 7 February 2011. Public Meeting.
- Web. Brown, Edwards & Huja Nominated for Council, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 2, 2007, retrieved March 11, 2013.
|Charlottesville City Council, 2010-2011|
|Members||David Brown | Satyendra Huja | Holly Edwards | Dave Norris | Kristin Szakos|
|See also||List of City Councilors | Recent City Council elections|