Flats at West Village
|The Flats at West Village|
852 West Main Street (formerly 852-860)
|Use Type||Mixed-Use Apartments & Retail|
|Lot Size||2.25 acres (98,010sf)|
|Gross Floor Area||Building #100: 162,705sf
Building #200: 156,704sf Total: 319,409sf
|Building Height||101 feet|
|Stories||Building #100: 5 stories
Building #200: 8 stories
|Residential units||219 units (595 bedrooms)
|Non-Residential||11,946sf ground-floor commercial (5,145sf restaurant, 6,801sf commercial)|
|Parking||385 spaces (3 levels underground)|
|Development Firm||Ambling University Development Group with Riverbend Management|
|Developer Contact||Ryan Holmes|
|Approval Process||Special Use Permit|
|Construction Started||Summer 2013|
|Construction Completed||August 2014|
The Flats at West Village is a 595-bedroom mixed-used development on West Main Street. The project, once known as the Plaza on West Main, was developed by the Ambling University Development Group and Riverbend Development. 
The Board of Architectural Review voted 4-2 in October 2012 to say that the current design would pose a risk to the West Main architectural district.  The Planning Commission voted 6-1 to recommend approval of the necessary special use permits in November 2012, with Lisa Green voting against. 
The Charlottesville Board of Architectural Review voted to modify portions of the building before approving the designs in 2013. The controversial modified plans included enclosing an outdoor plaza, increasing the us of HandiPanel cladding and darkening the paint scheme. 
Construction was completed in August 2014. 
- Web. Charlottesville planners get first look at Plaza on West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 10, 2012, retrieved November 12, 2012.
- Web. Flats at West Village expected to help connect city's two hubs, Aaron Richardson, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, August 28, 2013, retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Web. Peak Campus Management Selected to Manage The Flats at West Village, Peak Campus Development, August 22, 2013, retrieved October 15, 2014.
- Web. Major University housing and mixed-use project coming to West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 3, 2012, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Charlottesville planners get first look at Plaza on West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 10, 2012, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Officials question scale of student housing project on West Main, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow, October 16, 2012, retrieved November 12, 2012.
- Web. City Planning Commission recommends support for Plaza on West Main, Charlottesville Tomorrow, November 13, 2012, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Web. Council OKs controversial student-oriented housing project for West Main, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 4 Dec 2012, retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Web. New apartment building raises questions about development process, Reuben Jones, Charlottesville Tomorrow, August 24, 2014, retrieved March 19, 2017.
- Web. Regional planning officials discuss projects, future changes, Tim Shea, Charlottesville Tomorrow, April 22, 2013, retrieved April 24, 2013.
- Web. Recent housing developments courting UVa students, Derek Quizon, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, August 31, 2013, retrieved September 3, 2013.
- Web. Move-in Delayed for Tenants of Flats at West Village, Kasey Hott, NBC29, August 15, 2014, retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Web. Agenda for August 19, 2013 City Council, City of Charlottesville, August 19, 2013, retrieved 2018-10-05.
- Web. Budget Question - Housing: How much has been contributed to the fund by private development projects?, City of Charlottesville, March 19, 2014, retrieved 2018-10-05.