Fashion Square Mall
The Simon Property Group bought the property in 1997.  the mall offers 570,000 square feet of commercial retail area. The property became part of a spin-off group that eventually became known as WP Glimcher.  It is considered a Class B mall.
Sears announced in late December 2018 that it would close its store at Fashion Square Mall in early 2019. 
|This topic is well-covered by the wikipedia article Charlottesville Fashion Square|
Aging but surviving
Occupancy at the mall had dropped to 87.1 in 2015. That reflects the closure of Wet Seal, Body Central and Radio Shack all closed. That figure does not include the closures of New York & Company and Men's Warehouse Tux. To attract customers, mall management has held fashion shows, art exhibits and more. 
Violence at the mall
The mall has been the center of large fights among teenagers and young adults. In March 2010 the mall had to be closed because of a large melee involving over 100 individuals.
In 2012, the mall's management company came under fire following an attempted child abduction that was not reported to police by mall security. A man had grabbed a two-year-old girl in late November 2012. After catching him, security officers let him go and did not report him to authorities. 
- Web. Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Simon Property Group, retrieved 07 Mar. 2010.
- Web. Fashion Square turns 32 in the era of outdoor, pedestrian-oriented shopping, Nate Delesline, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 3 March 2012, retrieved 4 March 2012. Print. 4 March 2012 page A2.
- Web. Retail Look , Urban Land, The Urban Land Institute, January 2006, retrieved 24 June 2009.
- Web. Charlottesville Fashion Square mall continues its evolution as it deals with vacancies, Allison Wrabel, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, April 16, 2016, retrieved January 2, 2017.
- Web. Sears at Charlottesville Fashion Square to Close, Staff reports, News Article, WVIR NBC29, December 28, 2018, retrieved January 2, 2019.
- Web. Mayorsville: Here, everybody's a mayor, Lisa Provence, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 10 Aug. 2006, retrieved 2 May 2009.
- Web. Friday Night Fights Close Fashion Square, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 6 Mar. 2010, retrieved 08 Mar. 2010..
- Web. Fashion Square's response criticized by PR experts, Graham Moomaw, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, November 27, 2012, retrieved November 29, 2012.