Fashion Square Mall
As 2020 begins, the 570,000 square foot facility is owned by the Washington Prime Group, which reclassified the shopping center as a "non-core property," down from a Tier II property.  A real estate analysis firm, Trepp LLC, indicated in November 2019 that the loan for the mall is in "imminent default." 
The property is within the footprint of the Rio Road Small Area Plan which offers guidance for redevelopment.
|This topic is well-covered by the wikipedia article Charlottesville Fashion Square|
Aging but surviving
Occupancy at the mall had dropped to 87.1 in 2015. That reflects the closure of Wet Seal, Body Central and Radio Shack all closed. That figure does not include the closures of New York & Company and Men's Warehouse Tux. To attract customers, mall management has held fashion shows, art exhibits and more. 
Violence at the mall
The mall has been the center of large fights among teenagers and young adults. In March 2010 the mall had to be closed because of a large melee involving over 100 individuals.
In 2012, the mall's management company came under fire following an attempted child abduction that was not reported to police by mall security. A man had grabbed a two-year-old girl in late November 2012. After catching him, security officers let him go and did not report him to authorities. 
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Web. Fashion Square turns 32 in the era of outdoor, pedestrian-oriented shopping, Nate Delesline, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, March 3, 2012, retrieved December 26, 2019. Print. March 4, 2012 page A2.
- Web. More store closures coming to Fashion Square, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, December 23, 2019, retrieved December 26, 2019.
- Web. Fashion Square mall facing 'imminent default,' analysts say, Allison Wrabel, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, February 2, 2020, retrieved February 2, 2020. Print. February 2, 2020 page A1.
- Web. Charlottesville Fashion Square mall continues its evolution as it deals with vacancies, Allison Wrabel, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, April 16, 2016, retrieved January 2, 2017.
- Web. Sears at Charlottesville Fashion Square to Close, Staff reports, News Article, WVIR NBC29, December 28, 2018, retrieved January 2, 2019.
- Web. Mayorsville: Here, everybody's a mayor, Lisa Provence, The Hook, Better Publications LLC, 10 Aug. 2006, retrieved 2 May 2009.
- Web. Friday Night Fights Close Fashion Square, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, 6 Mar. 2010, retrieved 08 Mar. 2010..
- Web. Fashion Square's response criticized by PR experts, Graham Moomaw, Daily Progress, World Media Enterprises, November 27, 2012, retrieved November 29, 2012.