Farmington Country Club
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The Farmington Country Club is a golf and country club located in Albemarle County, near Charlottesville's western border with the county.
The club takes its name from the Farmington mansion on whose grounds and buildings the club is located.
The club came into being in the spring of 1927 when a group of Charlottesville and Albemarle County businessmen decided such a facility was needed in the community. In June of that year, the estate of Warner Wood granted an option to the group to buy the Farmington estate. In August, the State Corporation Commission issued a certificate of incorporation. 
- John S. Graves, President
- H.A. George, Vice President
- Donald G. Stevens, Secretary
- R.T. Minor Jr., Treasurer
The grounds and club were formally opened in May 1929.
Farmington long remained a segregated facility. A January, 1976 mail poll saw 64% of members oppose the admission of guests of any race, with 77% of members responding.
The golf course was designed by Fred Findlay.
- Web. "Farmington Inc." To Apply For Charter, Staff Reports, Daily Progress Digitized Microfilm, Lindsay family, August 9, 1927, retrieved August 9, 2016 from University of Virginia Library. Print. August 9, 1927 page 1.
- Farmington Country Club - Home Page. Web. 23 Nov. 2009. <http://www.farmingtoncc.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=263780&ssid=129039&vnf=1>.
- Print: Blacks Opposed in Poll:Farmington Vote Upholds Race Policy, Pat Wechsler, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises January 22, 1976, Page A1.
|This topic is well-covered by the wikipedia article Farmington Country Club|