East High Streetscape
|East High Streetscape|
This project will provide multimodal improvements on 9th St. from Market St. to High St. and on High St. from 9th St. to
Locust Ave. in Charlottesville, and include lane repurposing, widening sidewalks, landscaping with street trees, and bikelanes.
October 2, 2018 Planning Commission work session
|Contact||Alexander Ikefuna, NDS Director|
The East High Streetscape is a Smart Scale-funded project that will make multimodal improvements on 9th Street from Market Street to High Street and on High Street from 9th Street to Locust Avenue. The project scored a 2.7 in the HB2 process in the winter of 2016. It was ranked 6 out of 17 projects submitted in VDOT's Culpeper District. 
|This Transportation-related article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
City Council agreed to apply for the project in September 2015. 
The Commonwealth Transportation Board approved the project in June 2016.  Alexander Ikefuna told the PACC-Tech group on October 20, 2016 that the preliminary work was occurring and that City Council would need to vote approve a request for approvals before it is published. 
Council approved the project in January 2017. 
|This article documents a current event. Information may change rapidly as the event progresses.|
The Charlottesville Planning Commission will hold a work session on the project on October 2. That will be followed by an additional meeting with the commission on November 9 and a presentation to City Council on December 3.
Project description from application
"This project will provide a valuable multimodal improvement and connection for the existing Downtown Pedestrian Mall to the recently redeveloping area where the old Martha Jefferson Hospital once resided for decades. The project alignment will connect with the 7th Street / Market Street intersection along Market Street to 9th Street, continuing north to High Street and terminating at the Locust Avenue Intersection. Proposed improvements include widening sidewalks, landscaping with street trees, intersection improvements for better ADA and pedestrian access, bike lanes, storm water quality features, improved way-finding signage, signal upgrades for better efficiencies, and enhanced access to existing mass transit facilities."
- Web. East High Streetscape Improvements, Virginia Department of Transportation, retrieved February 16, 2016.
- E-mail. Missy Creasy, City of Charlottesville. "streetscape status updates." Message to Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow. November 27, 2017.
- Web. Charlottesville lining up funding for bike, pedestrian projects, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 14, 2015, retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Web. State transportation panel to vote on Charlottesville streetscape projects, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 13, 2016, retrieved October 24, 2016.
- Web. Council moves forward on streetscape projects, Sean Tubbs, News Article, Charlottesville Tomorrow, January 3, 2017, retrieved November 26, 2017.