Don Gathers is an activist and former member of the Charlottesville Police Civilian Review Board (CRB)  He intended to run for the Democratic nomination in the June 11, 2019 primary but later withdrew initially claiming health reasons.  It later came out that he had deterred from running by threats by white supremacist Daniel McMahon, who later plead guilty. 
Police Civilian Review Board
Gathers was one of 13 candidates under consideration for the Police Civilian Review Board who were invited to participate in a Community Forum on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at the Jefferson School African American Heritage Center Auditorium. An online survey was launched to collect community input on the 13 candidates under consideration. Ballots were also available to be completed in the City Manager's office and at the Community Forum. It would appear that Gathers submitted the following bio information with his application for consideration as a member of the Police Civilian Review Board: "Don Gathers is a Deacon at First Baptist Church on West Main St, the former Chair of the Blue Ribbon Commission on Race, Memorials & Public Spaces, a Community Activist, a proud Husband and Father, an Executive Committee Member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at UVA and a member of numerous local Activism & Citizens Rights committees."
Blue Ribbon Commission on Race, Memorials & Public Spaces
|This biographical article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
- Web. Fogel's membership remains a sticking point for city police review board, Tyler Hammel, News Article, Charlottesville Daily Progress, August 28, 2018, retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Web. Gathers delays start of his council campaign, resigns from police review board, Nolan Stout, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, Jan 8, 2019, retrieved 2019-01-10.
- Web. Gathers, Payne running for City Council, Staff reports, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, January 7, 2019, retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Web. Man accused of racist threats against Charlottesville activist Don Gathers pleads guilty in federal court, News Article, NBC12, Richmond, Virginia, April 30, 2020, retrieved May 1, 2021.
- Web. Police Civilian Review Board Candidates, City of Charlottesville, retrieved 2019-01-10.