The Dabney-Thompson House is one of Charlottesville's individually protected properties, meaning any exterior changes or potential demolition would have to be approved by the Board of Architectural Review.
The Dabney-Thompson House was built in 1894 by Richard Heath Dabney, a University of Virginia history professor and later the Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Dabney occupied the house until 1907, when he moved to a home on Rugby Road. In 1919 he sold the house to Frank Thompson.
The house exchanged hands several times before being bought by Anne Bryant Thompson in 1940. Thompson used it as a boarding house until 1970, when the house was purchased by the Perry Foundation and donated it to the Blue Ridge Mental Health Clinic.
In 2006 the house was purchased to be used as a location for the Montessori School of Charlottesville.
The structure is a two-story weatherboarded building in the Victorian style. The foundation is brick, laid in an American-with-Flemish bond. It features a steeply-pitched slate roof with tall gables. Inside, four of the rooms contain fireplaces with mantels in the Colonial Revival style.
The Dabney-Thompson House is located at 1602 Gordon Ave
- "Charlottesville : Architectural Design Control District and Individually Protected Property Information." Charlottesville : Home. Web. 16 Aug. 2010. <http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=812>.
- Web. Dabney-Thompson House Survey Form 104-0243, Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Charlottesville's Multiple Resource Area, March 21, 1994, retrieved June 15, 2012.
- Web. About MSC, Montessori School of Charlottesville, retrieved June 15, 2012.