Crescent Halls is a 105-unit apartment building owned and operated by the Charlottesville Redevelopment and Housing Authority. The structure, located at the intersection of Monticello Avenue and Second Street SE, was built in 1976. 98 units are one bedroom with the rest having two bedrooms. 
|This article documents a current event. Information may change rapidly as the event progresses.|
After many years of talk, rehabilitation of Crescent Halls moved toward reality in the late 2010's. 
The Chicago-based construction company GMA Construction group published a final cost for the redevelopment of the existing structure in December 2019 as well as a guaranteed maximum price. The estimated cost of refurbishing the units is $17.7 million. Construction had been expected to begin in the spring of 2020 but that was delayed by the pandemic.  City Council will consider $4.5 million in the sale of bonds to pay for the work on September 8, 2020.
The waterline break caused a decision for construction to proceed tower-by-tower as opposed to floor-by-floor. In August, the developer's representative reported there would be an initial $1.4 million in cost overruns.  All residents will be moved out of the building for the duration of construction. 
For years, residents have complained about dilapidated conditions at the facility. 
A previous master plan adopted by the CRHA in July 2010 had Crescent Halls slated to be one of the first projects in the CRHA's redevelopment process.  The master plan created by Wallace Roberts & Todd estimated the renovation would cost as much as $5.75 million at the time. 
The average monthly rent in 2011 for a one-bedroom unit was $248. A two bedroom unit was $314. 
- Web. Public Housing, Website, Charlottesville Housing and Redevelopment Authority, retrieved October 3, 2020.
- Web. Minutes of the August 23, 2021 Meeting of the Charlottesville Redevelopment and Housing Authority's Board of Commissioners, Minutes, Charlottesville Redevelopment and Housing Authority, retrieved October 24, 2021.
- Web. Planning Commission to hold work session on South First Street redevelopment, Nolan Stout, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, October 26, 2019, retrieved October 27, 2019. Print. October 27, 2019 page A1.
- Web. CRHA provides update on public housing redevelopment, Nolan Stout, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, November 22, 2019, retrieved November 23, 2019. Print. November 22, 2019 page A1.
- Web. CRHA Redevelopment Coordinator Monthly Repo, Brandon Collins, Report, Charlottesville Redvelopment and Housing Authority, October 20, 2021, retrieved October 24, 2021.
- Web. Charlottesville Investing in Affordable Housing Upgrades, Dannika Lewis, NBC 29, Charlottesville, Virginia, December 26, 2011, retrieved December 29, 2011.
- Web. Crescent Halls' Fate Lies in Structural Soundness Study, Rachana Dixit, Daily Progress, Media General, August 30, 2010, retrieved October 3, 2010.
- Web. CHRA MOU Report - November 6, 2011, City of Charlottesville, Department of Neighborhood Services, retrieved December 5, 2011.