Congregation Beth Israel
Congregation Beth Israel is a synagogue in Charlottesville offering both Reform and Conservative worship services.
|This article is written like an advertisement. Please help rewrite this article from a neutral point of view.|
There has been a Jewish presence in the Charlottesville area since Colonial times, and the city has been home to Jewish families since the late 18th century. In 1882 the cornerstone was laid for the original Congregation Beth Israel synagogue on Market and Second Street at the current site of the Jefferson Madison Regional Library. It was the first synagogue in this region. In 1904 the Federal Government purchased that site for the Charlottesville post office. Building materials from the old synagogue were moved to the present site on Jefferson Street. Local architect, George Wallace Spooner designed the Congregation Beth Israel building in Gothic Revival, at the time a common style of religious architecture. Spooner designed some area churches and other buildings in a similar style. The fleur de lis on the synagogue’s rooflines are sometimes mistaken for crosses. Congregation Beth Israel is the oldest continuously utilized synagogue in Virginia and among the twenty oldest continuously utilized synagogues in the United States.
CBI is far more than an historic building. Numbering over 400 households, CBI is composed of a diverse membership reflecting the variety of the community. It provides a locus for a thriving local Jewish community, and serves as a house of worship and prayer, study and learning. The Religious school offers Sunday and Wednesday Hebrew and religious education classes to over 200 children and adults. The preschool and Camp CBI adds another dimension to the growing need for the care and education of young children. An active adult education program provides many avenues for learning, socializing and volunteerism. 
The Congregtation is also home to CBI Preschool, which was founded in 1998 to "provide a warm, nurturing, and creative Jewish environment for young children."
Senior Rabbi - Daniel Alexander
Rabbi Educator - Tom Gutherz
Executive Director - Kathryn Mawyer
Director of Early Childhood Development - Zac Price
Office Manager - Aaron Weiner
Financial Assistant - Pamela Morris
Camp Director/Religious School Assistant - Shelby Apple
Music Specialist - Sharon McCord
Youth Advisors - Alina Khurgel and Joe Arton
- Print: Vandals Paint Swastika on Temple Beth Israel, staff reports, Daily Progress, Lindsay family January 11, 1960, Page 13.
- Print: Anti-Semitic Sign Painted at University, Staff reports, Daily Progress, Lindsay family January 12, 1960, Page 11.
- Web. Beth Israel Congregation Beth Israel History, 2012, retrieved March 19,2012.