Charles E. Coles

From Cvillepedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Charles E. Coles Sr. was an active member of the Republican Party in Charlottesville. He lived at 235 South Street and had a son, Charles E. Coles Jr.

In 1896, at a meeting held by the Republican Party at Odd Fellows Hall on Vinegar Hill, Coles was chosen to be a ward representative for the upcoming local, state, and federal elections. He later was one of the two African-American delegates who formed part of the Cox delegation, which was dismissed from the Luray Convention in 1922 as a result of the party's "lily-white movement."[1]

In the 1920's Coles and his sons owned the largest black construction company (Coles Construction Co.) in Charlottesville, which built the new J.F. Bell Funeral Home on the corner of Sixth Street NW and Commerce Street in the Starr Hill neighborhood.[2]

References

External Links