Bright Stars is a preschool program for at-risk 4-year-olds in Albemarle County. Bright Stars provides comprehensive social services for preschoolers and their families until the child completes 5th grade. In addition to the preschool program, Bright Stars provides Family Coordinators who address a family’s employment and financial issues. They also involve family members in the school community and teach parents how to support their child’s learning.
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
Wait List Increase
To address growing numbers of children on the Bright Stars wait list, the Albemarle Board of Supervisors asked Director of the Albemarle County Department of Social Services Kathy Ralston to draft a concept paper. At the November 6, 2013 Board-to-Board Update, the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors and the Albemarle County School Board sought more details about expanding the program.
There continued to be concerns about the waiting list in the fall of 2014. 
- Web. Bright Stars, Albemarle County Department of Social Services, Charlottesville, VA, retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Web. Albemarle school division to take over Bright Stars program, Katherine Knott, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, July 14, 2021, retrieved July 15, 2021.
- Web. Albemarle Weighs Pre-k Expansion, Tim Shea, Charlottesville Tomorrow, Charlottesville, VA, August 22, 2013, retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Web. Albemarle leaders seek details on Pre-K expansion, Tim Shea, Charlottesville Tomorrow, Charlottesville, VA, November 6, 2013, retrieved November 7, 2013.
- Web. ESOL parent perspectives from Albemarle’s Bright Stars waiting list, Tim Shea, Charlottesville Tomorrow, September 24, 2014, retrieved September 25, 2014.