Berkmar Business Park
|This article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
The development firm Stonehaus is planning on a business park to be built off of Berkmar Drive on the site of the former Planet Fun amusement center, but the development is currently[when?] in limbo. Stonehaus had sought the rezoning of the land from residential to Neighborhood Model District to pave the way for 275,000 of residential and commercial uses. Under this configuration, the development could have as many as 190 residential units.
The project stalled during the rezoning process because the Planning Commission and the Board of Supervisors wanted developer Frank Stoner to contribute to the building of a connector road to link Berkmar Drive with U.S. 29. Stoner did proffer up to $363,000 in cash for transportation improvements, but was not able to successfully negotiate with John Nunley, the owner of Better Living, for access via his property. The Board of Supervisors eventually agreed that Stoner was not responsible for building the connector road. However, the Board granted a deferral because the proffers had not been finalized before the public hearing, which meant a vote could not be granted. However, Stonehaus has decided to defer the project for at least one more year, and that deferral was granted to them by the Board of Supervisors in October 2009. In a letter to the Board, Stoner said economic conditions are preventing him from getting the credit he needs to finance the project, and that there is a disagreement among the two property owners about executing the proffers. Stoner asked for the extension in order to sort out the remaining issues.
The Renaissance Planning Group provided traffic analysis to Stonehaus's site plan.
- October 2006: Work session before the Albemarle County Planning Commission
- April 1, 2008: Public hearing before the Albemarle County Planning Commission, 6-1 vote to recommend denial
- July 2, 2008: Public hearing before the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors resulting in deferral
- October 14, 2009: Developer asks for request for deferral, granted by Board
- Stoner, Frank R. Letter to David Slutzky, Chair, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors. 24 Sept. 2009. Albemarle County, Virginia - Official Web Site. Albemarle County. Web. 21 Oct. 2009. <http://www.albemarle.org/upload/images/Forms_Center/Departments/Board_of_Supervisors/Forms/Agenda/2009Files/20091014/BerkmarExtensionletter.pdf>.
- "County Planning Commission denies Berkmar Business Park; cites connector road concerns." Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 4 Apr. 2008. Web. 21 Oct. 2009. <http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2008/04/berkmar_denial.html>.
- Tubbs, Sean J. "Berkmar Business Park developer not responsible for connector road." Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center. Charlottesville Tomorrow, 8 July 2008. Web. 21 Oct. 2009. <http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2008/07/berkmar_deferred.html>.