Barracks Road and Emmet Street improvements
|Barracks Road and Emmet Street improvements|
The Barracks Road and Emmet Street improvements project is a Smart Scale-funded project that will build infrastructure improvements, bicycle and pedestrian improvements and improvements to existing transit facilities as well as general intersection upgrades.
Request for proposals
|Contact||Alexander Ikefuna, NDS Director|
The Barracks Road and Emmet Street improvements project is a &8.6 million Smart Scale-funded project that will build infrastructure improvements, bicycle and pedestrian improvements and improvements to existing transit facilities as well as general intersection upgrades.
The project will incorporate improvements to all phases and functionality of the intersection. Right turn lanes will be added to the northbound Emmet Street (Rt29) corridor) and westbound Barracks Road. This will entail relocation of one traffic signal pole and acquisition of right of way.
Along with car-centric improvements, bicycle / pedestrian and transit improvements are proposed. These would include the installation of pedestrian refuge islands across both streets, construction of a multiuse sidewalk along Emmet Street and connecting to a planned, future trail network that extends down Meadowbrook Road. There is currently a bus stop within the functional area of the intersection that will be upgraded to include a bus stop shelter. 
|This Transportation-related article is a stub. You can help cvillepedia by expanding it.|
- September 6, 2016 – City Council agrees to select this project for the second round of Smart Scale funding 
- November 20, 2019 – Public open house for the project  
- Navarre Bartz, Bike & Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Brian Menard, Tree Commission
- Lyle Solla-Yates, Planning Commission and Entrance Corridor Review Board
- Andrew Mondschein, PLACE Design Task Force
- Mary Hughes, UVA Office of Architect
- Dan Butch, Albemarle County – Sr. Planner -Transportation
- Thomas Funari, Barracks Road Shopping Center (Property Manager)
- Tim Heaphy, Venable NA
- Nancy Summer, Meadowbrooks Hills/ Rugby NA
- James Chang, The Meadows NA
- Holly Mason, Barracks Road (Property Owner) / Venable NA
- Ashley Davies, Riverbend Development (CVS/CAVA Rep)
- Clara Belle Wheeler, Meadowbrook Shopping Center 
- Web. Charlottesville project submissions for House Bill 2 (HB2/ SMART Scale), and Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Program Transportation Funding, Tony Edwards and Amanda Poncy, Staff Report, City of Charlottesville, September 6, 2016, retrieved November 8, 2019.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, September 6, 2016.
- Web. Public Open House Notice – November 20, 2019, retrieved November 8, 2019.
- Web. Open house shows the proposed future of Barracks Road, Brianna Hamblin, News Article, CBS19, November 21, 2019, retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Web. About Page, retrieved November 8, 2019.