759 Belmont Avenue

From Cvillepedia
Jump to: navigation, search
759 Belmont Ave sheet 5 of 12 HABS.jpg
John Winn House (a.k.a. Belmont House), drawing dated 1933
Type R-1SH (low-density residential, small lot) Historic
Lot Size 0.7580 acres

The house and property at 759 Belmont Avenue is the namesake of Belmont Neighborhood. The estate house is referred to as Belmont House, (also known as the John Winn House, the Ficklin Mansion). In 1890 the estate was subdivided into what is now the Belmont neighborhood. The house has been divided into apartments.

National Register of Historic Places

The house was built for John Winn in about 1820 by Thomas Jefferson’s brick mason John Jordan. Sponsored by the University of Virginia, School of Architecture with project management by Edward K. Lay, the John Winn House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

History

The house, once part of a 551 acre estate, is believed to have been built for John Winn by John Jordan, a brick mason for Thomas Jefferson. It is similar to other buildings built by Jordan, such as Stono, in Lexington, Virginia. With its center pavilion with lower symmetrical side wings, the Winn House illustrates Jefferson's influence on Jordan. The details of the house are of the Greek Revival and Federal periods as it was built during the transition between the two. [1]

Previous owners

The estate was sold at auction to Slaughter Ficklin in 1847. He turned the property into a renowned horse farm and renamed the it Belmont, from the original Belle-mont.

References

  1. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/va1465/ Historic American Buildings Survey. Accessed May 15, 2019.

External Links