- City councilors voted to include themselves in the city’s employee medical and dental insurance coverage plans. Employees and councilors who already had medical insurance from another source were allowed to opt out of coverage and receive a $500 annual stipend paid over the course of the year. 
- July 1 – VA Senate Bill 604 goes into effect granting added additional privileges to the brewery license by allowing the retail sales of beer on brewery premises and in public tasting rooms. Brewers formerly were required to obtain a second license to sell beer for off-premises consumption and to obtain a restaurant license in order to sell beer for on-premises consumption. Under the new law, brewers were able to operate more like a Virginia farm winery. August would later become Virginia Craft Beer Month.
- Web. City Council approves pay raise, taking its salaries to maximum, Chris Suarez, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, May 2, 2017, retrieved October 25, 2019.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, January 3, 2012.
- Web. Charlottesville City Council meeting minutes, .pdf, Council Chambers, City of Charlottesville, February 6, 2012.
- Web. Habitat for Humanity wants to turn trailer parks into town centers. Will the model work?, Laura Ingles, C-VILLE Weekly, Portico Publications, August 6, 2012, retrieved February 23, 2020. Print. August 6, 2012 , 24.32, .
- Web. Ash Lawn-Highland names new Director, Daily Progress Staff, The Daily Progress, August 28, 2012, retrieved January 18, 2020.